News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Left and right door handles the same??

Started by postman70, 29 August 2020, 10:58 PM

postman70

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can explain to me about front door handles and lock assemblies. What is the difference between the handles on both sides? I notice each handle has 2 part numbers on it. It appears that if you mount the handle on one side of car the L is facing up and if you mount on other side the R is facing up. Also it appears that the shape of the lock cylinders are different on each side where the thingies with the L and R on them mount to. My question is if I'm installing the drivers side door handle Should the L be facing up or down? Which side gets the square shaped lock cylinder and which one gets The other shaped one? I guess the other shape could be considered rectangular? Idk.. what happened is I took both my locks out of original door handles and looked through a few sets of handles I had and than put the locks back in the best set I could find not minding which side is which

rumb

The different shaped key holes are handles from different years. The same key would not work in both of them.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

postman70

Oh ok.. that makes things even more confusing