News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Is this for real?

Started by BCDC, 15 August 2022, 06:00 PM

BCDC

An auction of some interesting items. One lots is 3 x aluminium bonnets for a W116. I've never heard of this.  https://auction.mbzparts.com/r107-w116/aluminum-hoods-lot-of-3-for-w116_1110

BCDC
Tassie
1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS

rumb

Ive been watching this auction for some time, but i just dont need 62 used gas pedals.

I wonder who is buying this stuff.  They sure have a huge amount of parts to get rid of.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

revilla

Somebody accumulated tons of parts over the years. It takes an EFFORT to acquire/transport/tag/photograph/catalog/store and run the administration to sell them. But who in his/her right mind would buy these parts by 'lots' considering these car will soon not be drivable for our children/grandchildren. Buying individual parts to repair and drive our cars these days for the pleasure/passion/fun I would understand, but 'lots' selling is out of context. Why to accumulate parts for cars we won't be able to drive (already the case in some major world cities). 40-30 years ago it was different, but not in today's reality.
There was a member here based in China/Taiwan who claimed had tons of parts. Maybe unloading time (?).
Again, I might be wrong, but I don't see how this hobby can be a profitable business when in a few years our cars will be parked as museum pieces. Let's enjoy them while we still can...

nathan

the mystery of our Taiwan poster was very odd. I remember at the very start of their prolific posting I commented to a 116 associate that I would not be surprised if it was a very very odd hoax and nothing would come of it.  low and behold...

anyway, I have wrecked so many 116s for my families own cars I have parts galore.  now I get people seeking me out and asking for bits.  easy when local, not so much one international as im not in the business of selling parts and going to post offices.

here in australia, we are decades away from not being able to drive ICE and our 116s here.  perhaps hydrogen fuel will materialise and then it can somehow be utilised with our relics!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

rumb

MBZ parts has been a used parts supplier for years and is taking about a year to auction off all their parts. I keep looking occasionally but I dont need 50 of anything. Hopefully some of the parts will re-appear later as the new owner attempts to sell them. But honestly 35 hood hinges is about 200 years of supply....

Stan in Taiwan had a container or so of his parts stolen and then hawked on ebay.  Supposedly the person storing the parts was going to repay Stan, but I dont know if that ever happened.

In the US it will take over 20 years to replace half of the cars on the road today.  We have plenty of time left for us to enjoy.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

revilla

It's not going to happen tomorrow, clearly we still have time to repair/entertain/drive our cars. But the trend is definitely there.

Here's a fair synopsis of the situation, which is certainly expanding:

"While federal decision makers focus on the future, local lawmakers and politicians do have the power to mess with history. Among the buzziest examples is London's designation of a low-emissions zone. Zero-emissions zones are either in the works or in discussion in Berkeley, Santa Monica, Los Angeles, with officials looking at outright bans to forcing delivery services to only use battery-electric vehicles. Internationally, there are plans for experimentation with zero-emissions zones in Amsterdam, Barcelona, Milan, Seoul, Oslo, and Auckland. It's worth noting the U.K.'s green-car regulations generally have exceptions for classic cars, but opponents say such exemptions might not extend to newer classics."

Full article here:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/hagerty-insider/out-of-gas-what-green-regulations-could-mean-for-classics/

UTn_boy

Quote from: BCDC on 15 August 2022, 06:00 PMAn auction of some interesting items. One lots is 3 x aluminium bonnets for a W116. I've never heard of this.  https://auction.mbzparts.com/r107-w116/aluminum-hoods-lot-of-3-for-w116_1110

BCDC
Tassie

The U.S. 300SD diesel models had aluminum hoods and aluminum trunk lids.  It's not a mistake. 

What is a mistake is this seller.  They shot themselves in the foot a year or two ago.  Originally, their prices were double and triple more than the actual value of the part(s).  They couldn't figure out why their sales were so dismal.  (go figure).  And then, people discovered that they were parting out perfectly rust free and good running cars just for the sake of parting them out.  That, along with overpricing the parts, ruined them.  They lost most of any buyers they had, and the negative reviews on how they treat their customers didn't help. 

They they started approaching various people trying to convince them to buy into their company, and of course at a highly inflated price.  Naturally, no one took the bait because everyone either knew about their antics or knew that they were more about the money than the car(s).  So rather than go under completely, the owners have now decided to sell off everything in lots in order not to completely go under.  But even now people don't want to bid or get involved because of the aforementioned.  I wish them the best, but it's an absolute mess for them at the moment. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

floyd111

There was a member here based in China/Taiwan who claimed had tons of parts. Maybe unloading time (?).
[/quote]

That would be me, but no, the half of my stuff that was stolen ended up on Taiwan ebay, and nothing big or in bulk. The other half is still in storage. Funny, but I do indeed have 3 W116 bonnets in stock, be it accidental and they came for free. But yes, useless to most of us.

floyd111

Nope, this isn t my stuff on auction here. I meticulously bought 2 of each, to a point of having 2 complete cars in NOS parts. Only a handful of items came in multiples.
Interesting how some still call me mysterious after nearly 3000 posts spilling every bean out there, haha.

gurrier

Floyd11,

If I may say so - your presence on the forum - with your striking enthusiasm for our favourite car - was missed.
1973 350SE