News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Is this AMG Cluster really genuine?

Started by WGB, 19 February 2008, 08:34 AM

WGB

I was hoping to go and have a talk to the Instrument maker in Perth located by AMG69 but before doing so I collected some photos.

Unfortunately I arrived home to an unexpected tax bill tonight so the new speedo may have to wait.

Here is the "Genuine" speedo in the Classic Centre AMG (What a brilliant collection of photos to have as a reference point)

Here is the e-bay AMG Speedo

Here is the speedo out of my 6.9

Now I know that the three photographs are not taken form the same distance and the e-bay AMG speedo is a close up but I reckon the print of the letters on the e-bay one is noticeably thicker than the Classic Centre face as well as being noticeably thicker than the lettering on my standard 6.9 face.

As well - the AMG lettering in the Classic Centre one is positioned nearer the centre.

These comments might seem a bit prissy but they want about the same amount of money as I paid for my 450SEL for it and I would question it's authenticity.

Bill

s class

Billl I agree with you that the font on the ebay item appears slightly heavier, but my view is that AMG was a bit of a back yard operation back then and there were surley variations - and thus there is insufficient evidence to doubt the authenticity of the ebay item. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

koan

The only difference I can see is the gap between the numbers and the markings, look at 240.

I agree with s class on the nature of the operation back then, M-B didn't want to know then, it was DIY job. There would be variations in small volume products.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

With all due respects - you're a trusting lot.

It costs money to make a silkscreen and I bet AMG probably only ever had one made - does anyone know how many speedos AMG actually made?

It's really irrelevant as I wouldn't be buying it but I am too cynical and would require some other corroborating evidence before laying out the large ones.

Bill

macatron

I also noticed that there seem to be more red lines between the 50 and 60 line on the eBay version than the Classic Centre version.  Look especially at the eBay version - it has a little triangle at the bottom right of the diagonal lines just like the one in your 6.9.  The Classic Centre version doesn't appear to have that little triangle.

I'm with Bill - silkscreen tooling would have a cost associated that they would only pay once for low volumes.  I doubt they reworked any OEM Mercedes' speedos but it's possible.

Mike

AMG69

Perhaps the best way to answer this is for someone in the USA to call the actual owner.  I sent a msg on EBAY and got this reply:

We have the items listed for a friend of ours. Please contact Bill 954-646-5654. He has quite a bit of the older AMG items.

If this "Bill" does have other stuff it would support the conclusion its genuine (ie if he happens to be wrecking a 6.9 with AMG spoilers etc etc.  If he is - why isnt it all listed on EBAY?

Bill may be onto something.  Irrelavant really as no-one is paying $2K for a bloody speedo - not even this little AMG addict  ;D
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

WGB

Quote from: macatron on 19 February 2008, 08:50 PM
I also noticed that there seem to be more red lines between the 50 and 60 line on the eBay version than the Classic Centre version.  Look especially at the eBay version - it has a little triangle at the bottom right of the diagonal lines just like the one in your 6.9.  The Classic Centre version doesn't appear to have that little triangle.
Mike

Well spotted - there is a difference in the red area.

At least if I am going to make a repro I want to make an "authentic" forgery ;D which was why I was studying the detail in the first place.

Bill

oscar

I agree with everyone else that says the two AMG speedos have been printed differently, that's for sure.  Are both or either one authentic - I'm sitting on the fence but perhaps giving benefit of doubt and backing sclass' comment of AMG being a bit of a backyard operation in its infancy. We really need to see other 300km/hr speedos if anyone can find more.  BTW, I wonder why yours hasn't got a 300km/hr speedo sclass?  Also, is there an equivalent MPH speedo for AMG 6.9's sold to the US, like a 185mph speedo??

FWIW, I reckon the difference in red lines visible is partly due to the cluster surround hiding the lines.  Look at SELfor50's pics below and how the white lines extend far beyond the cluster surround to the edge of the dial.  The red lines also go beyond the cluster surround.  Doesn't really prove anything re authenticity i suppose, especially as the speedos are a sure fit and can't move around once screwed in.  Two different prints for some reason and like what has been eluded to, it's more than simply just a thicker font.  There's so many differences between the two when it comes to the alignment of the numbers and relative position of markings etc eg the km/h under the AMG mark.  Hmmm, I'm clueless.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

Well Oscar, mine doesn't have the 300km/h unit.  As I understand it, back then customers could order as many or as few of the AMG goodies as they could afford.  But I really think my car needs a 300km/h unit hey?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

500eguy

I would be on This but he is asking such a rediculous price... how hard would it be to make a thin sticker and place it on your speedo?

Bandolero

So easy to do.
I just had some vinyl stickers made for my model aeroplane (60" wingspan) and they turned out great.
2 wing halves, 2 tailplane halves and extra numbers and letters. All up cost of $50.
He would be able to make anything you want.
Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

AMG69

I think just about anythin g can be created - cheaply - see:

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

450SEL69

If the cluster does not match the "classic center" item posted 100% at the beginning of this post then it is not genuine.

Some have commented that AMG were a small operation, indeed they were, so unless the dials match their single production run for this car then it must be April 1st

koan

I might do it properly and get one made up with Mach numbers.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!