Is there a technique to refitting the windscreen chrome

Started by adamb, 20 August 2011, 04:35 PM

adamb

I got my car back today from the paint shop. The windscreen has been refitted with new rubber. I'm trying to reinstall the aluminium trim but not making any progress. What's the trick? Or should the screen be fitted together with chrome?

koan

Quote from: adamb on 20 August 2011, 04:35 PM
I got my car back today from the paint shop. The windscreen has been refitted with new rubber. I'm trying to reinstall the aluminium trim but not making any progress. What's the trick? Or should the screen be fitted together with chrome?

Must be an exciting time for you. The glass, trim and seal should be assembled then the lot installed. Not easy, I had a professional come round and he was experienced with older M-Bs but still had trouble. Suggest you find some on similar.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

zedster

I have had my car back from paint about a week now and am going in 3 days to have an experienced person replace the front windshield (windscreen) and seal. He will also pull the back window out, put in a new seal, and put the window back in. I am missing 2 clips for the rear chrome and have bought all 17 new ones and their rivets. I hope he can put all the chrome back on even though he is not the one that took it off, if not the painter will. I have what appears to be broken plastic pieces/clips (white in color) on the pillar by the front windshield/windscreen that is chrome and then the small painted panels fit into. I do not know if they are part of that piece or something that attaches to it. I will need to replace that piece or the clips. I just have to find the part numbers. Good luck with yours! I will try and post pictures of mine when done. Interior is next. :)
1979 450 SEL "Spinne Blaue"

TJ 450

Refitting that trim with the seal/glass in-situ is an absolute pain, and in my experience it just won't seat correctly.

However, I'm fairly certain Nathan had a pro do it in this manner successfully,

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

jbrasile

Adam,

Yes.... molding must be installed in the seal prior to installation.

You can use a little trick to make the installation less difficult, leave the outer lip of the seal so it sits over the molding all around the glass instead of having it tucked under it. After the glass is perfectly in place you can let it stay that way or carefully push it under the chrome using a plastic spatula.

Tks,

Joe

adamb

Thank you all. I had no option about getting the screen in without the trim because I brought the car to the shop without the trim. No worries though, the car will be back to the shop once my reassembly is complete to get badge and various other holes drilled where new panels were welded and to be machine polished when the paint hardens. We can get the windscreen person out at that time.

Koan - it is a pretty exciting time. I'm looking forward to refitting the sunroof and maybe door trims today.

zedster

My front and rear windows were done today and I am impressed with he guys that did it. The front seal and chrome appear to be one piece (overlap) and I can tell it was done properly.

Shaun Roffe

Dude its always better to do it yourself

You can put chrome trim pretty much anywhere on the vehicle, but a simple area to start is around the windshield. Installing the chrome trim yourself will save you a significant amount of money,

Apply rubbing alcohol to a rag. Scrub with the rag from the edge of the windshield to 4 inches away from the windshield. Do this around the entire windshield. This will prepare the surface for optimal adhesion.

Peel the wax paper off the back of the trim. Slowly lower the chrome trim down to the edge of the windshield, starting on the top. Have a friend help you hold the trim. Get it as straight as possible.

Push a soft rag over the top of the trim to get the adhesive to bond properly to the car as you apply the trim around the perimeter of the windshield.

Before you begin, make sure the trim fits your windshield. Place the chrome trim around the perimeter of the windshield. You don't want to peel the wax paper off the tape and then not have the chrome trim be the correct size.

Danny

This topic seems near and dear to many...  service shops are good but i really enjoy(therapy) the DIY of it all.

Question:  does w126 chassis windglass/windscreen/windshield and trim make a direct fit for w116?

anyone have pics on remove/replace windglass front/rear.  any particular methods of removal to share?  recommended tools? 

The leaks have to go...

zedster

I am not mechanically inclined so I would rather pay someone that knows what they are doing. Less stress. I applaud those who can. :)

Danny check out the service manuals: http://handbook.w116.org/matrix6.htm

adamb

My intention to pay somebody to remove and refit the screen is based on experience. I've destroyed two windscreens from two parts cars while trying to remove them myself  ::) I'm good with my hands but not when it comes to glass.