News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Interior panel/pillar removal

Started by sethkestenbaum, 29 July 2018, 10:03 AM

sethkestenbaum

How does one remove the pillars that run up/down the windshield inside the car? I found the small screw that is removed on the lower part by the dash/door but can't seem to figure out how to remove the pillar without damaging it. I was hoping it was just a lift/twist, but haven't been able to figure it out and don't want to cause any damage. Thanks, Seth
Seth Kestenbaum
oldcarroadtrip.com
1929 Model A Ford Phaeton
1969 VW Bug Convertible
1980 300 SD Turbo Diesel getting fixed up
1980 300 SD Turbo Diesel rusty parts donor car

Diesel 617

okay, Had to go out and do it myself to see if I remembered correctly. Just to verify this is for the A-pillars.

Once you remove the plastic piece that runs up the door channel BE CAREFUL VERY FRAGILE and remove the one screw at the bottom of the A-pillar trim piece; then use your fingers to pull it evenly away from the windshield. Keep the panel flush, avoid pulling it towards the center of the car. It will slide out. There are two metal clips, one at top and one at bottom. It will take some force to get them to snap out. It is best done with your hands keeping the pressure evenly distributed so they pop out at the same time. The Trim piece is made with metal covered in foam. AVOID using shims or tools as it will likely cause PERMANENT impression in the trim.
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

sethkestenbaum

The plastic trim that runs down to the floor was missing when I got the car (the PO did quite a job "maintaining" the car). I'll apply additional pressure and pull BACK and away from the windshield but not towards the center of the car.  It seems the piece may have been reinstalled improperly as there is a piece of metal that seems to stick out of the front of it.  Perhaps this is broken clip.
Seth Kestenbaum
oldcarroadtrip.com
1969 VW Bug Convertible

Diesel 617

Upon further examination, it seems the only way to reinstall is to remove the headliner panel as well. A simple procedure (headliner will stay in place) The Chrome covers over the handles pop off faily easily with a small screwdriver or plastic scrapper and can be gently pushed up along the handles (can scratch and leave indents careful), then there are 4 10(i think)mm bolts per handle that need to be removed. Remove the reading light again pops out. Then the panel is slid towards the front of the car (there is a metal clip near the rear reading light).
To reinstall install the a-pillar first then the headliner panel

It may be easier to remove the headliner panel first then remove the a-pillar panel
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

sethkestenbaum

I gave it a shot and wasn't able to remove the chrome around the handles on the ceiling of the car above the doors.  Are you certain that they "pop out" easily?  I am trying not to damage the panels.  Suggestions?

I WAS able to remove and put back in place a bunch of the exterior trim and a door panel interior... so that is something.
Seth Kestenbaum
oldcarroadtrip.com
1969 VW Bug Convertible

TJ 450

Those chrome pieces need to be pried out quite often. I usually lever with a flat blade screwdriver from the inside. They clip into a mounded plastic section on the end of the handle.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

daantjie

Quote from: TJ 450 on 06 August 2018, 11:09 PM
Those chrome pieces need to be pried out quite often. I usually lever with a flat blade screwdriver from the inside. They clip into a mounded plastic section on the end of the handle.

Tim

Yup. Balls to the wall time. I have found that often times you have to go big or go home with a 40 year old part. Sometimes stuff breaks, no real way around it. This is why many shops refuse to work on these old girls.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

rumb

Dont pry on the chrome!

use a small screwdriver and pry the end of the vinyl away from the end (outer) of the chrome clip and pull towards you.  underneath you will then see the screws/bolts holding it on.

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Squiggle Dog

I've used a plastic prybar to pry away the vinyl from the chrome trim on the ends of the handles.

I've removed A-pillar panels before by removing the plastic trim underneath, removing the one screw at the bottom that the trim was concealing, and then carefully pulling the A-pillar panel down and backward while carefully monitoring the header panel and putting pressure on it so the metal tabs on the A-pillar panel don't tear the header panel. It takes small, careful movements back and forth until it comes out.

For installation, I put a slight bend in the tabs toward the header panel, angle it into the side of the header panel, and then slowly work it into place. The way the W116 interior panels are designed, it's very difficult to not break them.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+