News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Interior odour...

Started by 76116, 19 October 2015, 12:42 PM

...I'm lucky to have this SEL that's never been smoked in,  all good.  There is however an acrid scent that has not gone away since I bought the car two years ago...I've tried a variety of different things, to no avail. 

Open to suggestions....

daantjie

Try some lump charcoal, it absorbs odors pretty good.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

rumb

Bad odors are hard to eliminate.  Try dryer sheets. Stuff a few everywhere.

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

UTn_boy

Is this odor you speak of more musty/moist/soured smell, or a different smell? 

If it's all original like you say, then your odor is probably coming from the horse hair pads.  When the age, they give off an unusual odor, if they haven't already crumbled and been replaced that is.

If it's a soured moist smell, then water is getting in the car.  One of the worst things one can do to an old car, especially a W116, is squirt it with a water hose, much less drive one in the rain.    Most aren't aware that their front and rear glass seals leak.  They all end up leaking so tome degree. When this happens in the front, the water will usually collect under the sound deadening mats under the carpeting.  You'll never know about it until a smell develops.  By then it's usually too late.  The floor pans will have started to corrode. 

Another area(s) that'll get water under the front sound deadening mats is an area that will rust away if not kept clean and addressed.  The areas I am referring to are the areas at the furthest extremities of the firewall pad where it meets the inner fender panels.  On the left side (on a LH drive car) the corrosion will take place under and to the left of the fuse box.  On the right side of a US car, the corrosion will take place under the firewall pad where it meets the inner fender panel and the firewall. 

Over the years, debris accumulates in these areas, and when the car is washed with water or driven in the rain, this debris collects water and holds it for several days.  It essentially never dries.  Consequently, the moisture will permeate the seam sealer and paint causing a sometimes a well hidden gaping hole that allows water to pour in and hide under the front sound deadening mats.  Every W116 owner should peel back the left and right side edges of their firewall pads occasionally to monitor this area and to keep it clean. 

If the back glass leaks, it'll warp the paste board material of the rear parcel shelf, and sometimes the water will run under the back seat.   Again, water will become stagnant when left to stand, and the odor of stagnant water mixed with the unpleasant odor of old horsehair pads isn't a pleasurable experience. 

Hope this helps out.  :)  AARON
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

Has to be the horsehair pads...there's some dust under the drivers seat, about the only one that gets used....the car has always been garaged, no leaks anywhere, or rust.... I'll have a word with the upholstery lads and see about a solution.  Perhaps a latex coat to encapsulate the pads, foam as needed...

UTn_boy

If the pad is already crumbling, then any attempt to repair it or encapsulate it with anything will be of no use.  It'll still continue to crumble, and it'll eventually get so bad that the seat will look deflated.  Since we know it's dried out and pretty much a lost cause, I'd recommend sourcing some new horsehair pads.  The new ones won't have this odor, but also remember that sometimes these cars will always have their own smells.  For instance, cars with leather interiors smell different according to what color the leather was. (I'm referring to leather hides from Roser Tannery that the W116 cars would have used).  The MB Tex materials didn't have this trait.  My point being, after you renew the horsehair pads, you may still smell an odd odor, but it's the nature of most W116 cars.  :)
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

floyd111

and...they are available again from MB!