News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Interior fiddling

Started by adamb, 16 July 2012, 04:16 PM

adamb

I recently removed the dash in order to address some niggles.

First was the non functioning vacuum system after the respray. Everything seemed to be connected correctly and I checked all vacuum elements before door reassembly. The leak was so bad, it was affecting the heater matrix water controller.

The suspicion lie with a damaged hose under the dash. I was surprised in the end to find that the cause was down to complete failure of the redirection valve in the driver's door. Lucklily I had a spare onhand though it's only 99% leak free. I might need to visit the dreaded Stratford Mercedes-Benz parts and service centre.

The second issue was the damaged driver's side heater controller. It moved only 1/3rd of the range. So you could choose whether to have it super hot all the time or pretty cold most of the time depending on where I fixed the moving arms. The problem lie in the bottom flaps which seemed to be jammed (and disconnected) on the passenger side and partly jammed (though still connected) on the driver's side. Seems that somebody was hamfisted with the heater controllers while the car was in Hong Kong (probably because they could not switch off the heat ;) ). There was more bodge work around the fan assembly with cable ties used to prevent closing of the external vent and another around air recirculation. So much for a one owner car!

Initially I wanted to fix the control by taking apart the heater matrix. Luckily I practiced on the parts car and eventually decided that this was too big a job. Instead I've gone for ensuring that the top flap was fully moveable by disconnecting the bottom controller entirely. So now the per-side controls only operate the top flaps on both sides. As some of you know it's important that the per-side controls can both move into the bottom position.That is the only way to switch off the hot water flow into the matrix. Here's a pic of what the heater matrix looks like on my parts car. My jammed control was buried somewhere behind and underneath.

I also noticed that the insulation around the wiring loom had perished. Seems to have been made of biodegradeable materials just like that foam that seals vents. So new wiring insulator was applied.  I hope it lasts for the rest of this car's life.

Finally I need to replace the dash wood. It's damaged by the glove box and a little cracked by the driver's side. Luckily this is easy with the dash out.

siddiqiumar

That close up of the heater box.

Do you have any far pictures I really want to see what it looks like with the dash removed

marku

Hello Adam
You say a visit to the "dreaded" MB dealer in Stratford necessary. Have you tried Shaun Zealey at MB of Poole? They are Classic Partners and give a really good service. Will find parts given an engine/chassis number and description. My official local dealer was not interested and if I insisted wanted payment up front and should I get the part number wrong would not accept a return. Not cheap but they are MB guaranteed parts and it is much easier than trying to source them elsewhere.

Mark
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

adamb

Quote from: siddiqiumar on 24 July 2012, 08:14 AM
That close up of the heater box.

Do you have any far pictures I really want to see what it looks like with the dash removed
Sure, no problems. Can take and post pics of anything. Are there any close ups you want in particular?

adamb

Quote from: marku on 24 July 2012, 01:29 PM
Hello Adam
You say a visit to the "dreaded" MB dealer in Stratford necessary. Have you tried Shaun Zealey at MB of Poole? They are Classic Partners and give a really good service. Will find parts given an engine/chassis number and description. My official local dealer was not interested and if I insisted wanted payment up front and should I get the part number wrong would not accept a return. Not cheap but they are MB guaranteed parts and it is much easier than trying to source them elsewhere.

Mark

I haven't tried them. Worth a go. The problem with the Stratford branch is that they require me to visit in person to place the order. I can't give them part numbers and payment on the phone. They are open during the hours that I am at work which is extremely inconvenient. If I do manage to get there over an extended lunch I usually have to wait a long time in the queue, usually to be told that the part NLA even in Germany. The service is also generally substandard. I feel that this is most likely a London problem. For instance, the Norwich and Bath dealers from whom I've ordered in the past have been extremely accommodating.

marku

I have nothing but praise for them. Will go to considerable lengths to locate parts. If they are in stock send them out overnight. You can phone Shaun on 01202 666330 but he prefers email on shaun.zealey@mercedes.co.uk.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof