News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Instrument cluster removal 101

Started by WGB, 07 January 2012, 07:53 PM

ckamila

Quote from: koan on 30 March 2012, 11:19 AM
Just for the record

Late model spline measures 21.3 mm, 18 mm thread, 27 mm socket, 80 NM torque.

Does anyone know exact spline size, nut size, socket and torque for smaller spline ?

Thanks, Koan. Now i don't need to research tightening spec when i reattach steering wheel.

chris
If it's not broke i haven't fix it yet...

1980 300SD, 170K
1985 300D, 235K

Tony66_au

Nice work Bill, This is one of the last remaining jobs on the Green 450 as both the clock and tacho are stuffed!

Tony

WGB

Never had to fix a tacho (yet) but later model clocks are usually an easy fix.

Here is Major Tom's article from a 2007.

http://forum.w116.org/interiors-and-exteriors/w116-clock-repair/

I repaired my 450 clock ?over seven years ago with two caps removed and new ones soldered in and it is still happily keeping good time.

The repair cost me $8 because I had to buy a whole packet of assorted caps from Dick Smith to get the two I wanted.

Bill

Tony66_au

This clock is very noisy and doesn't move so its a mechanical issue, The Tacho is also a bit bound up and I have both a complete cluster and a separate tach module with a working clock (I tested it for a week and it is faultless) so im inclined to pull the cluster and see.

The one thing I have found with the Mercedes clocks is that they keep time very very well.

Thanks for the link Bill!

Tony

DialecticDielectrics

This pictorial is a great resource.  Thanks for the post.

Do I need to remove the instrument cluster in order to change the gas-gauge light bulb?  I can't seem to find information on this (should-be) easy job in the library or elsewhere...

WGB

The bulbs all require access to the rear of the cluster and removal first is the obvious way to start.

From the picture in the posting you can see several of the black plastic twist and pull housings that hold the bulbs on the Petrol/Oil and temp side of the cluster. One or more will need bulb replacement - change them all so you never need to go there again.

Bill

ripley

Helpfull post Bill,
Does enyone know where to buy tachometer (with small clock) for 280 SE model?
On eBay i can find only whole instrument panel like this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mercedes-Benz-Tacho-kombiindtrument-W107-W116-280-6-Zyl-RPM-/281674082176?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&fits=Make%3AMercedes-Benz%7CPlatform%3AW116&hash=item4195156780

Thanks.

floyd111

I second all that!
Great post, and great timing for me.
We WILL be using this very soon!

Stan