News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

I'm giving up on floor padding...

Started by 1980sdga, 01 June 2011, 11:13 AM

1980sdga

The rubber/foam layer was falling apart and the bottom layer is still just a soggy sponge and some of the layers of rubber on the outside are falling apart as it dries  :(

I think I'm just going to try replacing it all with some dyna-mat type stuff. My floor mats are dry and cleaned up well.

We'll see how the floor mats lay without all that thick stuff underneath...

ColMustard

The bottom pieces are toast as well? Dang, mine are still drying out. The top layer, however is completely toasted and ripped up but I still think i'll lay em down again for extra sound deadening. Let me know how that dynamat works out. I may go that route as well

jbrasile

Jon,

As long as the padding that's glued to the carpet is ok (it is NLA by the way...) using Dynamat should not affect the way the carpet fits. In fact I have run cars with the carpets (insulation attached) on top of bare floors and you can't even tell the difference aside from a little extra noise and heat.

Tks,

Joe

1980sdga

Well, the bottom layer is drying out but as it dries the outer coating (Kind of like a layer of thick white paint) is starting to crack and flake off like badly peeling paint  ::)  They were soooo soggy that I doubt that they'll ever dry out 100%  with the humidity down here.

Some of us are in even more humid locations  ;D

My fear is that I'll end up with a lingering funky smell if I can't get them dried well.  They're NEVER gonna dry under the carpet...

I'm on a budget and dynamat is pretty expensive but I ran across this:

Seems like some guys have used it in place of dynamat with good results.  Only $15 at Lowes!

It's bloody hot here but I'm about to get back to work while I have some time off...

I drove the car on about a 40 mile round trip to pick the foil stuff up and ran the AC the whole way.

No water in the floor and the drains are working  :) I didn't see any water in the floor so I guess I'm OK on that front.

Thank goodness my floorboards are in good shape!  I'm pretty happy at the condition they're in  ;D  There's a LOT of stuff to hide rust under there. I can see how having a window stay down, even just cracked open a little, through a winter could ruin one of these cars!

I didn't check before I bought the car and got lucky!  You NEED to look under there before you buy. It's just hard to tell what you're looking at until you've really examined one...

WTF is NLA?   ;D

calvin streeting

1980sdga

Here's a before:

And after:

Not that bad of a job but you have to finesse the mat under the duct.  It's VERY sticky so you have to use care when positioning it.

jbrasile

Not bad at all Jon!!!

Your floor is about average for surface rust, so nothing to worry about there. This floor duct is a nightmare no matter what...

Joe

1980sdga

Do the floor ducts just run under the seats?  My floor mats dried out nicely. I think that they may have floated above the water  ;D and weren't really wet on top. I ran over them with the carpet cleaner so now I need some parts store mats or something.

Squiggle Dog

Lucky, you still have the tab where the accelerator pedal attaches. Mine broke off from the floor pan. Your sound-deadening looks nice.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

jbrasile

Jon, the ducts just go through the cross beam under the front seats and protrude slightly into the rear floor area, but all of this happens under the front chairs, you can feel where they come out with your hand.

A nice set of original floor mats from MB I think runs around $60.00, let me know and I can order them for you.

Tks,

Joe

Big_Richard

Quote from: jbrasile on 01 June 2011, 05:26 PM
Jon, the ducts just go through the cross beam under the front seats and protrude slightly into the rear floor area, but all of this happens under the front chairs, you can feel where they come out with your hand.

A nice set of original floor mats from MB I think runs around $60.00, let me know and I can order them for you.

Tks,

Joe

my car came with perfectly fitting rubber MB logo mats on top of the carpets, do you know if these are still available ?

my drivers side one is in pretty poor condition (RHD)

jbrasile

Tom, let me check with the CC, those are pretty good too and do a great job of protecting the carpet for those who live in areas prone to rain and snow.

I'll post it here.

Tks,

Joe

1980sdga

Done, woo-hoo!

I drove it with/without the dynamat stuff and I could tell a difference. Without it I was getting some exhaust resonance (I think) and it's quieter with it installed. I still haven't driven it with the carpets in.

I'd be interested in some mats Joe but it'll be a couple of weeks.

Casey

Quote from: 1980sdga on 01 June 2011, 08:33 PM
Done, woo-hoo!

I drove it with/without the dynamat stuff and I could tell a difference. Without it I was getting some exhaust resonance (I think) and it's quieter with it installed. I still haven't driven it with the carpets in.

This looks really nice!  I'm surprised to hear that cheap stuff does sound deadening - I wonder how well it compares to dynamat...I definitely prefer my ride to be as quiet as possible.  Your interior looks to be in really great shape!!  I need new mats at some point as mine have permanent folds mashed into them. :(

Tom/Joe - pictures of the MB rubber mats would be very much appreciated - I'd love to have a set to keep in the trunk and toss in the car in the winter or when the weather gets wet...

1980sdga

Thanks Casey!  Yea, my interior is in pretty nice shape. About the only problems I have are some sun fading on the carpet/package tray, droopy back seat and door panels (Was there horsehair in there?) and a little bit of cracking to the wood on the ACC panel.

I've used real dynamat before but the cheapest I could find around here was $40 for a small roll (Not sure of the dimensions) and it was an hour away.  This stuff is pretty much identical to dynamat but it may be just a tad thinner. Probably about  .100" rather than .125". But it's heavier. I guess since it's for roofing (Rather than flooring...) It has a really thick aluminum backing. 

It's a LOT quieter in the car. Especially with the engine idling in the garage.  I've spent a LOT of time idling in the garage working on the ACC and I believe this is an improvement over stock.  I'll bet it would help more if I ran it up the firewall a little further.  Put some on the rear fenderwells and the areas around the back seat and it'll be like a vault!  Just need to solve the wind noise...