News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

I cleaned the engine.

Started by carl888, 01 January 2017, 12:42 AM

carl888

After 21,000kms it was time to give the engine a once over, it was really dusty.  Some diluted detergent, a brush, a wash down with a hose then a wipe over all the metal parts with a rag and some WD40.  Took all of 20 minutes (It does help having a slightly warm engine).

carl888

Is it possible to rejuvenate the yellowed plastic on the washer bottle and brake fluid reservoir?

rumb

I saw a post somewhere that soaking for a week or two in some solution "whitened" them.  Not sure what was used, perhaps a diluted bleach solution?  Would be concerned that you could further damage the plastic if you used the incorrect solution though.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Type17

Mild bleaching can help, but as mentioned, too strong a mixture can cause brittleness.

Mechanical surface treatments (very fine wire wool, sandpaper) and subsequent polishing for shine can also help, as a lot of the discolouration is at the surface - but critically, not all of it is, so you won't get back to pure "like new" whiteness.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

Peter

Really nice result Carl, looking fresh  8)

Type17

Quote from: Peter on 01 January 2017, 03:45 PM
Really nice result Carl, looking fresh  8)

Yes, forgot to mention - gorgeous looking engine bay!  :) - mine is very original, but has a lot more patina than that...

adamb

That looks great and it's making me feel guilty. Please delete this post immediately  ;)

Peter

As for the yellowing I think it was Utn Boy who mentioned in my Concourse post that soaking the reservoir for a few weeks in a bleach and water solution might bring them back. I didn't try this due to lack of time however I just might try it this year considering that a new reservoir is $300 +

marku

The plastic does yellow with age and heat. Was involved some time ago with a project to restore the old type of phone (pre-digital) that were originally white or cream. It wasn't successful and they ended up being painted. There is no chance of making the radiator expansion tank look good. Buy new they are not that expensive. The washer and the brake fluid tanks can be cleaned with brake fluid on the outside as most discolouration is from general contamination in the engine bay such as oil etc., used bleach on the inside. It does work I used it and brought the washer tank up to an acceptable colour. Although cleaned a lot out of the expansion tank it was still too yellow and so will replace with new although they are very white.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

carl888

Thanks for all the replies and comments everyone.  I think at this stage I'll leave things be.  Oddly, when I replaced the master cylinder about a year back, I had a good go at cleaning the reservoir, but I think my efforts made it more yellowed!

carl888

Quote from: adamb on 01 January 2017, 04:08 PM
That looks great and it's making me feel guilty. Please delete this post immediately  ;)

No problem, here's another :)

But seriously, that's how I bought the car so the credit goes the previous owner.  It's the reason I don't drive it in the rain.

oversize

Green and going greener....  ;) :P
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Pieter Lötter

That is so beautiful I want to cry
12 years standing, little more than a brush and detergent required :-\
1974 280SE manual D-Jet,
2011 W204 220 cdi,
My whole life consists of wondering whether or not to make the sarcastic comment.
pieterlotter.oke@gmail.com

carl888

A few hours with some mild automotive detergent will have that looking fine, it's just dusty!

My friends parts car on the other hand....

Type17