News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

how shiny should bundt wheels be?

Started by davestlouis, 19 June 2006, 09:34 PM

davestlouis

The bundt wheels on my W116's are grubby, dull and stained. I am pondering having them painted, and while I like gloss silver, I get the feeling they had a matte finish on them when new...if so, will high gloss look ok?  Looking for opinions...Dave

s class

I have personally refurbished many Bundts including my 15"s  ;)

I agree with stryria - it is very labour intensive  - every crevice needs to be meticulously cleaned.  I have in the past used household cleaner with an ammonia component with the green scratchy kitchen pot scourers plus an assortment of old toothbrushes, nailbrushes etc to clean the wheels.  Then they must be thoroughly rubbed down.  600 wet is suitable, except where there is heavy scuffing such as on the central tower where wheel spanners damage the surface.  there I would probably use a #100 wet followed by #220 wet and #600wet.  The rim lip may also have kerbing damage.  Mild scuffs I remove with a flat bastard file, then #100wet, #220 wet and #600 wet.  The bare alloy areas must then be suitably primed, such as with standox etch. 

I use standox silver fine base coat plus 2-pack clear.  It gives a durable glossy finish that is easier to clean than a matt finish.  Just stand by as the tyres are fitted to that you can discipline the fitter who damages the paint finsh.......

I have some pics of wheel refurb in progress.  I am having no joy with the gallery at the moment though - I will try again in a couple of days.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL