News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Hood Pad removal

Started by nostat, 27 April 2017, 04:42 PM

nostat

For those of you who have replaced your hood pad what did you use to remove the glue and prep the hood for new glue? Thanks

beagle2022

Mine had largely disintegrated into tiny bits of foam.  The trick was to use a drop sheet to stop it getting into the engine bay.  Elbow grease and a stiff brush cleaned up the surface.  I used plain old contact adhesive for the new one.  With a helper I was able to position it perfectly.  Three years on and it is still there with no signs of coming away.
Sydney, Australia

daantjie

Use 3M Super Trim Adhesive in the aerosol can to glue the  new pad on.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

rumb

2 cans of 3m spray adhesive remover. it's weird stuff, spray on liberally  let sit a few minutes and then rub with a shop towel. Letting sit is key. the old glue will crumble of as you rub.  First cover the entire engine bay as this makes a huge mess.  your shoulders will ache from all the rubbing.  Takes quite a while but should get all old glue off. 3-4 hours.  Not a fun job.  This works if your original glue was spray adhesive.

goo-gone ma also help.

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

polymathman

When I did mine, I took the hood off - it's not really that big of a deal. Set it on some padded sawhorses. I drilled a couple of small holes through the hinges to allow me to re-align it.

Just got the crusty stuff off and didn't worry about every speck of old adhesive. There was some fussy fitting needed at the back where the straps were, but it was pretty straightforward.

Used the 3M stuff and three years later still looks great.
190sl 1957 rusting away
250S 1968 long gone
280SE 1976 got hit, parts
280SE 1979 running fine
C320 4Matic 2005 for wife -Mercedes after MIT

nostat

New hood pad is on and it looks great. There wasn't much left on so I scrapped off what was left,wire brushed the whole thing and took my sander with 120grit to hit the spots with alot of glue left then alcohol wiped the dust off. I couldn't find the 3m 08090 adhesive so I used 3m Hi strength 90 contact adhesive instead and it worked fine. Used some clothes pins to hold the front of the pad to the front of the hood and let it hang. Sprayed a 6" wide strip near the front and stuck it on, took the pins off and finished the front then doing 6" at a time finished the rest working my way down the hood.
   It took about 1 1/2 hrs and a little over 1 can of spray ( had to stop and run to the store for another can ) thats where the 1/2hr came in. Total cost of
this job about $100 and very satisfying. Thanks again for your help.

nostat

New hood pad is on and it looks great. There wasn't much left on so I scrapped off what was left,wire brushed the whole thing and took my sander with 120grit to hit the spots with alot of glue left then alcohol wiped the dust off. I couldn't find the 3m 08090 adhesive so I used 3m Hi strength 90 contact adhesive instead and it worked fine. Used some clothes pins to hold the front of the pad to the front of the hood and let it hang. Sprayed a 6" wide strip near the front and stuck it on, took the pins off and finished the front then doing 6" at a time finished the rest working my way down the hood.
   It took about 1 1/2 hrs and a little over 1 can of spray ( had to stop and run to the store for another can ) thats where the 1/2hr came in. Total cost of
this job about $100 and very satisfying. Thanks again for your help.

daantjie

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ptashek

1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

Guess I missed that word all together.
What I saw in one of the photos was that it was clearly blue underneath. Not even close to Antrazit.