News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Hood pad installation how to video with Pierre Hedary

Started by karmann_20v, 21 February 2019, 09:37 PM

karmann_20v

daantjie

I am sure there are many opinions on the "best" way on this jobby.

For the glue at least, I used 3M Super Trim Adhesive in aerosol format, IMHO much easier to apply than cans of glue:

https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/company-ca/all-3m-products/~/3M-Super-Trim-Adhesive-08090-19-oz-538-6-g-/?N=5002385+8709313+3293768010+3294529206&rt=rud

Use the whole can, half on the hood pad, and half on the hood itself.  The key is to let it sit for a bit to get tacky, about 10 minutes in ~20C ambient, then you really have to make sure you have it squared before introducing the pad to the hood, this is pretty much a one time deal as once it sticks it is very hard to come loose, which I guess is the point ;)
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

karmann_20v

I know 3M makes a great adhesive, the question is how long does it last? My friend has a 107 that he replaced the hood pad on, used the 3m spray can glue and 2 years later it's peeling off. I understand how this can be an installation error, but the MB Teroson glue seems to be a normal adhesive (apply on one surface to be glued), instead of a contact cement type that the 3M seems to be (to be applied to both contact surfaces). Maybe the secret is to drive the car after the installation is complete and get some heat in the engine bay so the glue can cure properly (no problem if you have an M117)?

Up until seeing this video I had no idea there was a specific MB adhesive for this job (which is on my to do list for the 116).

And since I am a big fan of his (as opposed to some other guy on YT that could show you the how to procedure, but charges you for a video on demand instead), I had to post it here.

daantjie

Quote from: karmann_20v on 22 February 2019, 10:14 PM
And since I am a big fan of his (as opposed to some other guy on YT that could show you the how to procedure, but charges you for a video on demand instead), I had to post it here.

Ha-ha Florin, yes indeed I see Pierre is having it out with uncle Kent on Youtube.  I don't think Kent is losing sleep though, I think he has amassed a small fortune with his "empire" ;D  I enjoy both with a pinch of salt.  Initially when I was quite green I learnt a ton from Kent's vids.  I am still pretty green but wise enough to know that he "creates" a problem so he can invent some cockamamie tool to help you "solve" this problem.  Seems to be more of late, his early vids were more of a tutorial nature, now he is just pushing crap for the most part.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

marku

When I did mine I used a standard high temperature sprayed contact adhesive. It worked very well and hasn't fallen off yet. I was not looking forward to doing it on the car so I had the bonnet off. Much easier to do and its not difficult to remove.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

Diesel 617

Quote from: karmann_20v on 22 February 2019, 10:14 PM
I know 3M makes a great adhesive, the question is how long does it last? My friend has a 107 that he replaced the hood pad on, used the 3m spray can glue and 2 years later it's peeling off. I understand how this can be an installation error, but the MB Teroson glue seems to be a normal adhesive (apply on one surface to be glued), instead of a contact cement type that the 3M seems to be (to be applied to both contact surfaces). Maybe the secret is to drive the car after the installation is complete and get some heat in the engine bay so the glue can cure properly (no problem if you have an M117)?

Up until seeing this video I had no idea there was a specific MB adhesive for this job (which is on my to do list for the 116).

Found this in the comments of the YT video abov
Silver Star Restorations
4 days ago
Once again great stuff  just wanted to let you know that 3M 8001 adhesive  is what we used at dealerships in south Florida  and I worked at Autohause in Pompano Beach   ,Bill Usserry  in Coral Gables and LP Evans in Miami  installed hundreds using 3 M 8001  it will take 5 tubes per car  $7 .00 per tube  Great tips on how to install it .

https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/company-ca/all-3m-products/~/3M-Super-Weatherstrip-Adhesive-80010-yellow-5-oz-150-ml-/?N=5002385+3293770781&rt=rud

But also in the comments
QuoteMercedes Classic with Pierre Hedary
Mercedes Classic with Pierre Hedary
4 days ago
it seems like in dry climates, the pads last longer and the 3m glue holds them up. Out here in tropics, the 3m glue fails in 6 months due to humidity issues, as do aftermarket pads. even an OEM pad here last 7 years at most. 80-100 percent humidity is bad for this stuff.

Mercedes Adhesive is: 0009899271
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

UTn_boy

It seems like people are doing this the hard way.  There is yet another glue available that even people like Pierre and Kent likely aren't aware of.  It's part number 000-989-82-71.  It comes in a quart sized can with a lid much like a paint can has in that it pries off.  This particular glue is much thinner, and application requires use of a paint brush that you'd throw away afterward.  It's specifically meant for large surface area adhesion much like a hood pad or insulation is.  Given that it's much thinner it applies quicker and easier.  Flash time is still pretty quick, but it still holds up very well.  It's what the factory used to install the hood pads, too. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo