News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Hey all, new here, Windshield leaking (I think)

Started by ColMustard, 06 May 2011, 10:15 PM

ColMustard

Proud owner of a 79 300sd, Mustard in color. Any tips, or tricks? I was just thinking about taking it in and having the windshield done by a glass person. EVERYTHING on this car is original, all glass, engine parts, you name it.
I completely tore out all seats and carpet to try to find the reason there was an inch of water in the passenger rear. Saw a stream coming from the seal on the bottom of the windshield. Also, theres a leak in the trunk, any possibility its from the badges?

Casey

I did a quick fix on mine with some silicon gel.  It works and is cheap/easy for a short-term fix:

I'd recommend replacing the windshield gasket with an OEM replacement - the part number is 116 671 01 20.  I spoke with jbrasile here about this on the phone - the windshield is apparently a rather tight fit on the W116 so you want to be careful.  It's one thing I probably won't try to do myself - I'll just order the part and take it to a Mercedes shop.

You mention the back seat - do you mean the rear window?  I guess those are called windshields by some people too.  The part number for that seal is 116 670 00 39.

Every trunk leak I've had on old Mercedes have been from the trunk seal.  Poke around at it and see if you can find any loose spots or (worse) rusting under the seal.  There are also gaskets around each of the taillight assemblies.  Part numbers:

116 750 00 98 - Trunk Seal
116 826 01 58 - Left Tail Light Seal
116 826 02 58 - Right Tail Light Seal

I recommend talking to jbrasile about any of these parts.

Please post pictures of your car - I'm really keen on seeing the color, and W116 300SD's are my favorite vehicle in the world.  You can see mine here:
http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/casey%27s-1980-300sd/

jbrasile

Colmustard,

Another typical 116 issue....

The leak could be coming from a couple of different places:

1) The windshield - usually water enters the car at the base of the windshield, runs down the firewall under the floor insulation/carpet and collects behind the front seats

2) A/c drains - your car has 4 drain hoses for evaporator condensation, if they are plugged water will accumulate and oveflow, running down the side of the console an collecting behind the seat.

Looks like you have already narrowed down the source to a  windshield leak. The only way to properly fix it is to replace the windshield gasket, use the  original MB part and have a professional do the work to avoid braking the glass. As Casey said, the glass goes in pretty tight and if you are not careful it will crack. Have the old seal cut in several places when removing to release some of the pressure. And when re-installing, leave the outer lip of the new gasket on top of the chrome molding instead of under it as per the factory. This is not original but helps getting the assembly back in place minimizing any  damage risks. The passenger side always seems to be an issue when installing a new gasket, very hard to get it right.

Trunk leaks - seal, tail-light seals, antenna grommet or rear window seal - get in the trunk as if you are being kidnapped....hehehe...  have a "true" friend close the lid and spray some water under pressure around the lid, tail lights and antenna  observing where the water comes from with a flash light. You can observe if the leak is from the rear window seal if you get water running at the bottom edges of the rear screen inside the car. It will also wet the internal wheel arches in the trunk.

Casey, thank you very much for your referrals!

Prices:
116 671 01 20 - windshield gasket   - $153.00
116 750 00 98 - trunk seal -  $93.60
116 826 01 58 - Left Tail Light Seal - $84.60
116 826 02 58 - Right Tail Light Seal - $84.60
116 670 00 39 - rear window seal - $114.30

All original MB. Prices have 10% off of list

Tks,

Joe

Big_Richard

Quote from: Raptelan on 06 May 2011, 11:10 PM
I did a quick fix on mine with some silicon gel.  It works and is cheap/easy for a short-term fix:

never, never ever use silicone on a cars metal work.

you may as well open up a packet of salt and jam it in between the seal and metal work, the end result will be the same.

Casey

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 07 May 2011, 04:21 PM
never, never ever use silicone on a cars metal work.

you may as well open up a packet of salt and jam it in between the seal and metal work, the end result will be the same.

Ahh man, really?  Why's this?  I had no idea it was a bad idea, except that it might be a pain to clean off thoroughly.  I just didn't want the rain coming in. :(

Well, I'll try to get the windshield gasket replaced soon as I can.  Any recommendations for how to mitigate what's already been done?

Squiggle Dog

I think that silicone draws water molecules to the metal and causes it to rust quickly. I have used 3M Bedding Compound with success (and it's what the glass guys use). You can get it at most auto parts stores. It's the same very dark grey color as the seals.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Tony66_au

Most external Silicone sealants are what is called ACID CURE.

They have a distinctive vinegar smell although not all are noticeable unless you get up really closely to the stuff when wet.

Want rust?

Use Silicone

Casey

Well, at least the silicon is not on the side of the trim that's visible when properly installed - I was filling a gap between the trim and the seal, and between the seal and the painted roof.  Perhaps treating the underside with a rust inhibitor after removal would be sufficient?  I will also see if I can get the trim from the 280SE in the junkyard...if it's in decent shape.

ColMustard

Hey everybody, thanks for the replies. Last night I was gonna silicone under the bottom seal, but the seal started falling apart and the trim popped out like a jack in the box. So needless to say spend the night putting it back. I didnt end up getting the silicone done as its waaaay too far gone. The entire windshield was moving from pushing from the inside, if there was any glue, its dead and buried.
Thanks raptelan for the part numbers. I'm gonna find out what the status of my engine is before I spend too much money. lol, thats another post. Some ticking from the bottom end.
Anyway, for all who wanted to see, this is colonel mustard.

Casey

Quote from: ColMustard on 08 May 2011, 11:41 PM
Anyway, for all who wanted to see, this is colonel mustard.

Wow, great color.  I've never seen that color of Mercedes before.  It's unique, and looks good.  The body looks to be in pretty nice shape.  I see you've got a sunroof too, which is a apparently rare on a 1980 (I have one too).  Good luck getting your issues fixed!

Rubber parts just don't last so many years without cracking and becoming brittle.  I'm intending to do a full replacement of all seals and gaskets on my car...which is going to be a bit costly, but should hold up for another 30 years. :)

Big_Richard

I cant explain why, but that car makes me want to eat a chicken sandwich  8)

very straight panel work, and original paint by the looks of things, from that picture alone i think that car is worth spending money on.

I'd dump the tacky w126 wheels and get the correct bundts on there though  ;)

Squiggle Dog

I thought I saw a 300SD the same color as yours driving through Puyallup a few months ago. I think it even had the W126 wheels. Coincidence?
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Casey

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 09 May 2011, 08:19 PM
I thought I saw a 300SD the same color as yours driving through Puyallup a few months ago. I think it even had the W126 wheels. Coincidence?

Wow, what chance!  You guys are both in WA.  I used to live in Renton myself.  Maybe if you hunt around you can find my old green 1976 240D 3.0L in a junkyard somewhere... :'(

Puyallup...  Pull Y'all Up!

ColMustard

Thanks for all the compliments :) Reminds me of the day I saw er sittin in my friends driveway. Took me a week to get the funds to buy it. This was the first car I ever bought where I didnt get buyers remorse haha.
Squiggle Dog, You probably did see me. I've been all over the eastside and then some recently, just taking care of buisiness. Did you notice nothing inside but a driver seat? haha. I'm still waiting for my gf to go on vacation so I can seal this baby up and put it all back together.
You used to live in renton too eh?

1980sdga

Sweet car!  I think those rims would look sharp with a little paint and some centercaps! I like my Bunts but I could live with those.  Are they the same size as the Bunts?  I wouldn't mind some Wider meats or 15" rims.