Hey all, new here, Windshield leaking (I think)

Started by ColMustard, 06 May 2011, 10:15 PM

WGB

Quote from: jjb-w116-hu on 25 May 2011, 10:12 PM
thanks Joe, this just leaves the paddling pool fault to be the main windscreen rubber ;)

cheers!

Or coming from a rust hole in the firewall.

Where in NZ are you.

Bill

Casey

Quote from: koan on 26 May 2011, 03:23 AM
You'll still have the the "elephant's trunks" inside the engine compartment that drain water from the fresh air inlet in the scuttle panel. Never heard of them blocking up but the water would have to go somewhere if they did.

I'll bet if mine blocked up, a little rain would make them just fall clean off - the rubber is so cracked up around where it attaches and they feel so loose and fragile that any time I open the hood I expect one or both to be missing. ;)

TJ 450

Speaking of the area underneath the scuttle panel... rust up near the cabin intake can cause some serious water leaks as well. Oscar posted about this a long while ago, and I had the same issue with my 6.9.

Rust holes in the firewall are the other one, as Bill mentioned. Usually that is above where the inner fender meets up with the firewall and it is visible from the engine bay. Once this area has advanced, you end up with holes below this area under the wheel arch... Both sides of the car are a possibility. It's easy to spot this.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

jbrasile

Had the firewall rust issue on the 78 450SEL which is what prompted the complete body restoration, mine was behind the fuse box and was pretty tricky to spot. Here are the pictures of before and after.

Definitely a possibility that needs to be looked in the case of "misterious water" coming into the car.

Let's not forget that the fresh air box drain on the drivers side may drop water on top of the steering column cover if not positioned correctly and that will flood the interior as well, the 1980 450SEL had this when I bought it and it took months to figure out.

Tks,

Joe

calvin streeting

Thats a very common rust spot.. which way is the water suposed to go.. is there a drain hole like on the W123's

thysonsacclaim

QuoteThats a very common rust spot.. which way is the water suposed to go.. is there a drain hole like on the W123's

Good question. I've wondered this myself. When I start doing some rust repair, I was planning on making drain holes in the new plating at the lowest points. I have a patch of rust by the fuse box and under the master cylinder, but it hasn't fully penetrated the metal.

jjb-w116-hu

hi all, Bill Im in Auckland -
I've heard of the firewall rust holes in the corner and pretty sure there is none on my firewall, least not in those top corners where the firewall rubber also assists debris and cr@p accumulating ;)

i will pull my fuse box out as i intend to clean round that area as i have a whole set of new fuses and a few new bulbs from autohasz today (yay for interior courtesy lights!) and will check there too.

fingers crossed it is only the dilipated rubber around the windscreen! :)

jjb-w116-hu

where is the elephant trunks and air intake ? am not sure what i'm spose'd to be looking for.
would love a dry interior! :)

are there any other drain channels that one should investigate ?

jbrasile

Calvin, if I am not mistaken, they added a drain during the rust repair to make sure it never happens again.

jjb, the "elephant" hoses are attached to your firewall behind the engine one on each side right above the front anti roll bar

Tks,

Joe

calvin streeting

Quote from: jbrasile on 27 May 2011, 12:13 AM
Calvin, if I am not mistaken, they added a drain during the rust repair to make sure it never happens again.

I wonder if anyone has a photo of this...

ColMustard

Whew what a day. Replaced the shocks, nice ride :). Did another leak check, seems water is dripping from the bottom of the fan, funny it hasnt done that before. Anyone else seen this?

ColMustard

Forgot to mention as well that there seems to be a knockout between the interior and the exterior, there was a strean coming from it. Gonna take pics tomorrow

TJ 450

If water is dripping out of the fan, then you may either have a blockage under the scuttle panel or a rust hole in the small partition that prevents water flowing into the fan intake.

I'm not sure what you mean by a knockout, but if it is one of the blanking grommets, then it sounds like a pretty major leak. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

ColMustard

Thanks for the input tj :) blanking grommet? Its a circle looking piece of metal that seems to have not been covered up from manufacture. Ill put a pic up tomorrow. Its like a piece of metal that looks like with a little force could be knocked out to make a perfect circle. Does that make any sense? Ill post pics tomorrow  :P

TJ 450

That makes sense,

I've not seen anything like that on a RHD 116, but I do reckon you should take a pic of it.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500