News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Hey all, new here, Windshield leaking (I think)

Started by ColMustard, 06 May 2011, 10:15 PM

jjb-w116-hu

hi joe thats for that insight-
you couldn't perhaps illustrate what you mean by leaving the gasket over the top of the chrome? and is this only for the front windscreen or the rear as well?

jbrasile

jjb-w116-hu,

I don't have any close-ups of my 80 450SEL but I will take a picture of the 78 car and see if I can illustrate better what I mean.

Basically in the factory installation the outer most lip from the seal is tucked under the chrome molding that surrounds the windshield, so when you look at the car no rubber goes OVER the molding, it's all UNDER it.  The way I suggested you do not tuck that lip under , you leave it to cover the molding's inner edge by about 3-5mm.

In fact when we installed the new windshield on my 78 car, the tech insisted in doing it the factory way (he is an ex MB guy) and guess, what.... the seal has started to crack in certain places due to the excessive kink on the outer lip that is required to tuck it under the molding.

Tks,

Joe

koan

Quote from: jbrasile on 18 May 2011, 09:39 AM
Basically in the factory installation the outer most lip from the seal is tucked under the chrome molding that surrounds the windshield, so when you look at the car no rubber goes OVER the molding, it's all UNDER it.  The way I suggested you do not tuck that lip under , you leave it to cover the molding's inner edge by about 3-5mm.

Didn't know the factory way was to put the lip under the mold. Problem with putting it over the mold is that it stands up at the corners.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

jbrasile

Koan, it actually doesn't, I have done it in 3 cars and if you use an original seal and the installer is careful that it is not pulled or pushed in any direction, you can have it sit nice and even all around the molding. I will try and post a picture of my old 280S which has it done that way

Tks,

Joe

jbrasile

Here is a picture of the old 74 280S (the after the accident....) I zoomed in as much as I could to try and show how the windshield gasket sits above the chrome trim. The windshield on this car was not original, but the instal should work the same way.

Tks,

Joe

jjb-w116-hu

Thanks Joe
love this forum - and as the rain comes in little old NZ it's all high on my priorities list. im not fond of the paddling pool that happens behind my front seats ;)

how can one check the AC/condensation outlets to make sure they wont cause a leak or are blocked?

i'd like to get dry- and stay that way once and for all !

ciao JJB

jbrasile

jjb,

There are a 3 ways to check the drains:

1) From under the car you can poke a piece of electrical wire (better than a hanger this will avoid damaging the hoses) thru the hoses, if the drains are clogged you should get a pretty good stream of water coming down

2) From inside the car - you need to remove the covers on the lower part of the dash, the door ducts and fiddle to insert a wire through the drain holes, they are pretty hard to see and difficult to access that way.

3) Removing the console - more work but if you car is a post 78 you get access to all 4 drains and can be assured that all is in order

The easiest way by far is from underneath, the only problem is that doing so prevents you from looking to see if there is any large debris on the collection tray that may clog the drains again.

Tks,

Joe

jjb-w116-hu

by removing the console, do you mean the whole dash? and are there any instructions for this someplace?

like the idea of the undercar option but also keen to make sure nothing will recreate a problem and subsequent paddling pool effect ;)

cheers!

jbrasile

jjb,

You would have to remove just the console but it still takes a bit of work.

To make your life  easier, do the cleaning from underneath then run the a/c for a while and see if you get a nice puddle of water under the car. Start observing if you still have liquid collecting behind the front seats. Check periodically if water is coming out of the drains.

From under the car you will see 2 or 4 hoses coming through the transmission tunnel, their tips look like little slots. If you notice a hose is missing that's half your problem right there, you must replace it preferably with the original item.

Have fun!

Tks,

Joe

ColMustard

Id like to thank you joe, got the gasket. have not installed it yet, have prepped by removing interior trim that may get in the way during installation. I also removed the exterior chrome trims on either side of the car. There was quite a bit of debris under there. Was wondering if there was a tutorial here on how to go about installing this new gasket.
Thanks all in advance

jbrasile

ColMustard,

Good move removing the interior trim before having the new gasket put in.

I suggest you leave the  installation to a professional, it will not cost much and it is well worth the peace of mind. I paid $150.00 a few years ago in LA, they came to my office and did the work on the parking lot. I had to sign a waiver since no installer will take responsibility if the glass breaks.

The chrome trim around the windshield has to be installed on the rubber prior to the windshield being re-installed in the car.

For some reason the passenger side is always a little tricky as the molding tends to want to pop out as the glass/gasket assembly is pushed onto the body.

Tks,

Joe

jjb-w116-hu

hi again Joe- do i still have to check these drains if i dont have ACC ? i dont have aircon in my girl...

jbrasile

No jjb, if you don't have a/c there should be no drains.

Tks,

Joe

jjb-w116-hu

thanks Joe, this just leaves the paddling pool fault to be the main windscreen rubber ;)

cheers!

koan

You'll still have the the "elephant's trunks" inside the engine compartment that drain water from the fresh air inlet in the scuttle panel. Never heard of them blocking up but the water would have to go somewhere if they did.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!