News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

(Help) New Dash Install

Started by bbnlv, 22 July 2012, 12:19 PM

bbnlv

Does anybody know the best way to put a new dash in a 116?  Pulling the old dash out through the passenger compartment was a disaster.  Ive been told I will have to spring the new dash to get it in.  Would it be easier to have the windshield removed and come in that way?

Please advise.

-Brian

Big_Richard

bbnlv

I was actually thinking if I removed the windshield  I could drop the dash in through there.  The opening is wider from that side than from the inside of the car.  The big edges wont have to pass through the narrow space as they will already be on the other side.  Just a thought!

TJ 450

It seems that way with the windshield opening, but it isn't the case... The widest point is actually where the dash is located. However, removing the windshield will allow you to get a better idea of what you're dealing with.

I have thought about this in depth, and I still think the only way to remove the dash is toward the rear of the car... I'm open to suggestions though.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

adamb

I've recently removed the dash. I followed the instructions in the manual and lifted the passenger side up then slid the dash back passenger side first. Yes the corner does get bent a little but unless the dash is extremely dried out and cracked, it should spring back into shape. Having the windscreen out makes little difference except for visibility as mentioned in the above posting.

Kjhall65

I have to replace the dash in my 115 shortly.  I have an unmarked second hand one ready to go in.  I have some people tell me the windscreen has to come out and others saying no. 

Any idea if the process for the 115 is the same as the 116???? I would prefer not to remove the windscreen unless I really need to.  Fortunately my 116 dash is unmarked so I don't have two to do.

Ken

bbnlv

I have the old one out.....   It didn't come out effortlessly by any means and the ends of the dash tore. 
I just want to make sure this is well thought out before I take a stab at installing the new dash as I don't want to damage it. I was told I would have to spring the dash a little to get it in, but I want sure if that was the only way or if people chose that route because they didn't want to pay to try coming in through the windscreen. 

Squiggle Dog

The problem I see is that with the windshield in place, the seal is in the way, and you'll crack the dashboard trying to force the forward edge of the dash underneath the windshield seal. Then you have to somehow get the studs in through the brackets on each side of the body.

The one time I installed a dashboard, I could not get the dashboard to fit underneath the windshield seal without cracking it all over. It took a lot of force to get it underneath. Having to get the studs through the brackets on each side made it even more difficult. But if the dashboard is still pliable, you may be able to put a lot of force on it without cracking it.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

tcj

Hi,

having done it a few months ago here is my way (applies to left hand driven cars):

1) leave the windscreen where it is - removing it doesn't help much
2) removing the dash: get it out by first pulling the right end back (to the passenger compartment)
3) installing the dash: first put the left end into place, then push the right end into its place.

Both removing and installing is getting quite easy if you insert a plasic bag (2 layers) between the dash and the A-pillar. This makes the dash glide into place.
This way its easier than you think.
And read the instructions in the Mercedes-service-manual, this makes it easier to find all screws.
@Aquiggle Dog: I followed the instructions there and had no problem getting it fit underneath the windscreen seal or pairing the studs and the brackets, but I agree - having some more joints in my arm would have speeded it up.

Thomas

Big_Richard

jbrasile

Agree with everyone, removing the windshield will not make the dash installation any easier.

The plastic bag idea is great, I would build on that concept by applying  a lot Vaseline or KY Jelly to the dash, bag and A pillar that should make gliding the passenger side in pretty straight forward.

Tks,

Joe

Kjhall65

Thanks MT that's great news and tcj what a great idea re the bag.  When I do it I will take some pics an post the journey.
Ken

siddiqiumar

Please post me pictures of the behind dash area. I am really curious to see what 116 hides behind the dash. Since u alreday have it remove pls oblige by posting a pic

Thanks so much

bbnlv

Did any of you pull the center console out?  I left it in when I pulled the dash out.  (Needless to say I had to bring the dash up higher into the roof pillars to get it out.)  Doing so I think I was a little harder on the old dash than I would like to be with the new, (20 yo left in a box) dash I am installing. 

Thank you everyone.... Between the dash, the new elements for the air doors and having the wood refurbished this is going to be a costly little project and I don't want to mess anything up.  :)

-B

Squiggle Dog

I've been told in the past (and I thought the factory service manual stated) that removal of the windshield was necessary--but if not, that is great because someday when I am not injured and have a job, I need to pull the interior apart and fully convert the automatic climate control to manual heat and get the air conditioning to work. Then I'm putting in a nicer dashboard. I was planning on having to remove the windshield before replacing the dashboard, so I'm glad to know I won't have to do that.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+