News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Hello

Started by robgee, 09 June 2006, 09:09 AM

robgee

Hi guys Im a newbie and I've been looking into the site on a regular basis and its helped me immensly I have just recently purchased a 1978 450SE with only three previous owners and in excellent condition except it seemed to be running on only 7 cylinders so I took it to my Benz expert here in Melbourne and after fiddling around for a couple of hours it was diagnosed as a dirty injector the difference is mindblowing I can only concur with everyone on the forum at how modern these cars drive, the handling is quite amazing.Although the fuel consuption leaves something to be desired.
Regards
Robgee

OzBenzHead

Welcome, Robgee!   :)

Quote from: robgee on 09 June 2006, 09:09 AM... the fuel consuption leaves something to be desired.

A small price to pay for the driving, handling, and safety aspects of a Benz.

I'd rather spend a little more on the fuel used by a good car such as a Benz, than spend less on fuel but heaps more on repairs (and depreciation) as I would with an "economical" lesser car. (And I write that after having filled up at $1.51 per litre today!)
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

robgee

Quote from: OzBenzHead on 09 June 2006, 09:27 AM
Welcome, Robgee!   :)

Quote from: robgee on 09 June 2006, 09:09 AM... the fuel consuption leaves something to be desired.

A small price to pay for the driving, handling, and safety aspects of a Benz.

I'd rather spend a little more on the fuel used by a good car such as a Benz, than spend less on fuel but heaps more on repairs (and depreciation) as I would with an "economical" lesser car. (And I write that after having filled up at $1.51 per litre today!)
Thanks OzBenzHead and I do agree its an awful lot of car for the money I just filled up too but a little cheaper at $1.49 per litre.
Isn't that what the petrol companies do though on long weekends the try to crucify anyone who enjoys driving.

oscar

Hey Robgee and welcome.

We were down in Melb over the long weekend seeing Split Enz.  My wife loves 'em, I reckon they're great talent wasted on a few crap songs.  Harsh words I know, just wasn't my era.

Love Melb though.  Having said that, you'll never see me doing a right hand turn in the CBD.  Those Box turns you guys do down there, I don't get 'em.  I keep turning left to get where I want.  :D

Just for the record, we came back on the Monday and paid $1.43 at shepparton and on sunday on the way in, the same at the big shell with maccas built on at the western side of the northern ring road.
I think we got lucky as far as travelling in the opposite direction to those escaping Melb for the long weekend.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Denis

So can you guys understand how much one must LOVE the W116 if they pay the equivalent of 2.20AUD for a litre of sacred juice as I do in France ?

Denis

Paris, France

macatron

I didn't think I'd be feeling better about gas prices but in Orange County, CA but I'm only paying the equivalent of $1.24 per liter ($3.47 US/gallon, 91 octane).  Of course, my 280SE only returns 12 miles/gallon so I'm still not getting any great bargain.  However, it is worth it to take it out and cruise it around every other weekend!

Mike

michaeld

Yes, Robgee, welcome!

I hope that your experience w/ your 450SE is as "magical" as mine has been.  I bought mine fully intending to pass it along - for a tidy profit - but fell in love with it on the drive home.  If these cars are in decent shape, they are absolutely magnificent to drive in.  I can assure you; I have never ONCE envied a driver w/ a new car (probably a lease) w/ his big-montly-payment ride.  Someone might have more power, or more acceleration, or more features; but I can't imagine that they have more enjoyment or more satisfaction than I do in my w116.
Mike

robgee

Hi Guys thanks for the welcome well I've done about 1500 Klms since I bought it and it hasn't missed a beat so here's hoping that with regular servicing and the help of the forum I too can enjoy many more unfussed kilometres.By the way I'm also taken with the way it handles for such a heavy car the handling is pretty neutral and it just tip toes its way through corners showing a clean pair of heels to cars some 20 years younger.I think quite a few of them are quite surprised.
Regards,
Rob.

Quote from: macatron on 17 June 2006, 11:46 PM
I didn't think I'd be feeling better about gas prices but in Orange County, CA but I'm only paying the equivalent of $1.24 per liter ($3.47 US/gallon, 91 octane).  Of course, my 280SE only returns 12 miles/gallon so I'm still not getting any great bargain.  However, it is worth it to take it out and cruise it around every other weekend!

Mike

Macatron, 12 MPG on a 280SE?  Either that US emissions equipment (I run euro cars) is far more evil than I ever realized, or it needs some tuning or something...I've never gotten under 16 (and I usually get 18-21 MPG) out of my 280SE or my 280SEL running on the 93 octane here in NC.  Shoot, my mom's 450SEL never even got that poor mileage (though dad's 6.9 was a different story).

And as has already been said, welcome to the forum, Robgee!

macatron

Macatron, 12 MPG on a 280SE?  Either that US emissions equipment (I run euro cars) is far more evil than I ever realized, or it needs some tuning or something...I've never gotten under 16 (and I usually get 18-21 MPG) out of my 280SE or my 280SEL running on the 93 octane here in NC.  Shoot, my mom's 450SEL never even got that poor mileage (though dad's 6.9 was a different story).
[/quote]

I know it's probably out of tune.  I bought it only about a month ago and I haven't had time to take a detailed look.  However what I do know is that it's a federal-emissions car and the EGR valve is disconnected most likely due to the fact that one of the hose fittings on either the 100+ degree thermo valve or the 62 degree F thermo valve has been broken off.  I'm almost afraid to look.  I don't know what other broken parts I'll find.

Quote from: macatron on 19 June 2006, 10:25 AM
I know it's probably out of tune.  I bought it only about a month ago and I haven't had time to take a detailed look.  However what I do know is that it's a federal-emissions car and the EGR valve is disconnected most likely due to the fact that one of the hose fittings on either the 100+ degree thermo valve or the 62 degree F thermo valve has been broken off.  I'm almost afraid to look.  I don't know what other broken parts I'll find.

If memory serves, disconnecting the EGR will give slightly better performance and mileage, but the thermo valve problems are decent possibilities to start on the mileage issues.  As far as being afraid to look, I've been there and done that, so I feel your pain.

macatron

Any idea if this may cause the engine to run hot?  Regardless, I know I need the cooling system flushed.

Thanks,

Mike

robgee

I've been taking my car to work this last couple of weeks which is a round trip of just on 100 klms a fair bit of which is 80kph or 100 kph freeways and I've averaged 17mpg or about 16 litres per 100klms.Which i now think is pretty good considering the weight.
Regards,
Rob.

Rob, that sounds decent for a 450...though I'm assuming that's Imp. Gallons, not US?

Mike, good question...I'll have to break out the manual or defer to those more knowledgable on this one, because I'm not sure off the cuff.  If I remember, I'll break out the manual tonight after I get home from work and see if I can figure out the answer.