News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

hello

Started by madforitus, 19 February 2005, 09:04 PM

madforitus

hello i ran across this site while looking for info on the car i just purchased. its a 1979 280se. the exterior is not in terrible shape as far as rust and dents go. it needs a new paint job pretty badly though. the interior is in surprisingly good shape. the carpets look really good. the wood grain looks to be cracking though. everything works including the sunroof. it seems to run just fine. i havent fully inspected it yet but i think its a pretty good find for $1000. this is my fist mercedes and classic car. i am completely ignorant and thus will most likely have a lot of questions. i am looking foward from benifiting from your knowledge. my aim for this car is too get it in pretty good shape. i dont plan on having it perfect show room condition but i want it to look and run good. any info or advice is gladly welcomed. also i will be posting some pictures as soon as i get them scanned.

Mforcer

Hi Madforitus,

Congratulations on your purchase. As anybody here will attest, you will love your car and wonder why you didn't buy one sooner.

Do you plan to do the work yourself? I hope you document as much of the work as possible. Pictures are always good :)

Michael
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

madforitus

ive been driving my car for 2 days and i really like it so far. there are some controls that i dont understand and some minor issues (windows are hard to roll down etc.) but for having done nothing to the car since purchase its fantastic. ive driven it all over town. it certainly has personality and is really in good shape for no work done, at least in my opinion. as to the work that has to be done, i am going to try to do as much of it myself as i can. i however am not a automotive expert and im cetain i will require help with some things and others im sure ill just pay someone to do. like i said pictures soon. maybe you guys can help me with some of the controls that i dont understand.

Mforcer

Quote from: "madforitus"maybe you guys can help me with some of the controls that i dont understand.
What's the question? The only thing I will not be able to help with is the climate control air-conditioning and other items limited to the US models.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

madforitus

yea the climate controls im slowly working out but its still somewhat mystifies me. there were some buttons like the rear interior light switch that i didnt understand at first(wouldve known sooner if there was a bulb in the light) except for the climate control and the dail by the lights that goes from 0 to 3 i seem to have got things figured out.

MiataPaul

Quote from: "madforitus"yea the climate controls im slowly working out but its still somewhat mystifies me. there were some buttons like the rear interior light switch that i didnt understand at first(wouldve known sooner if there was a bulb in the light) except for the climate control and the dail by the lights that goes from 0 to 3 i seem to have got things figured out.

Not sure as I am new to the w116, I was a former owner of a Euro W126 and it had a dial that went from 0 to 3 next to the head light switch, it was for adjusting the headlights so that you did not blind the oncoming traffic. (higher nubmers due to number of people on board. Do you have the smooth one peice headlights? If so you may have a grey market Euro. I miss my W126 so I bought a 350se euro this week. Not sure if it has the adjustable headlights, as it is sitting in my X-wifes garage until I get the paperwork.