News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Heat Resistant "Green" Glass

Started by WGB, 18 February 2008, 06:44 AM

WGB

I was talking to Styria today and he said that the window glass in a 6.9 is heat resistant green glass and is peculiar to the 6.9.

I said that I thought UK market 450's had the same glass as standard (Source - Brooklands Books Road Tests S-class 1972-80).

My 6.9 has code 592 - Green Heat resistant Glass as do my UK delivered 1979 450 and my parts car 450 ?1978 (which still has a usable rear window)

Might be useful information and maybe someone can elaborate on other models.

Bill

CraigS

I think the heat resistant glass was standard spec for all Australian models - same as "tropical battery".
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

oscar

Which glass in particular WGB?  The whole car?  How do you tell? 

If there's supposed to be a hint of green tint then I can say that my 350 and 280S doesn't have it.  The 280S infact has a very water clear front windscreen without any tint around edges or that dark band across the roof line.  Makes me think it's original.  But I'll have to check the codes.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

WGB

The heat resistant glass is definitely light green in tint and is fitted to the side and rear windows and probably the windscreen in non-Oz cars.

All Australian Benzes with tinted windows up until recent years had clear windscreens which seemed odd given our climate.
It was mandatory in Australia for all windscreens to be clear glass (which was changed at some stage in the 90's or 00's) with the exception of a coloured band at the top of the windscreen covering no more than 10% of the area.

I think the first Mercedes I had with a factory delivered coloured band on it's clear windscreen was a 1994 124 E280 - prior to that if you saw a banded windscreen on an OZ delivered Mercedes it meant that it had been fitted with a locally sourced replacement windscreen.

Latterly the windscreens have started appearing not only with a band but with tinting to match the side windows which the rest of the world had decades ago.

Bill

s class

I was aware that the 6.9's had the special glass, but its interesting to hear that some 450's as well.  How 'available' is this glass second hand?  Trusty Rusty needs a replacement left rear door glass.  (The existing one is covered in imbedded specks of molten metal from welding nearby). 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

WGB

You will need to find the Glass out of a UK spec 450 and check that it is a light green colour.
It sounds like Oz 450's might have had the same spec.

Bill

john skene

No 450 or 280 that I have seen in Australia had the green tinted glass, but the few 6.9's (perhaps 6 or 7) that I have looked at all had the green tinted glass.

WGB

It is a very light green and may not be particularly visible at first glance.

You would need to look for option code - 592 on the data card or data plate near the radiator.

Quote from: CraigS on 18 February 2008, 06:53 AM
I think the heat resistant glass was standard spec for all Australian models - same as "tropical battery".

Maybe CraigS could elaborate.

Bill

OzBenzHead

Rolf the Crayford (UK spec) has 592 on its options plate (and the glass does appear to be vaguely green).  He's a mere 280SE built in 1973.

My other 116s (both 280SEs) have glass options thus:

Crusty (1978 Oz spec) 599

Boris (1979 UK spec) 593.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Mforcer

My Australian 450SE has option code 599 : heat-insulating glass for side window panes and rear window pane laminated glass and clear windshield.

That wasn't enough for me so I added more tint to deal with the ever harsh sun.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200