News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Headlight switch

Started by koan, 29 July 2007, 06:32 AM

116Benz

Quote from: gregdeklerk on 01 August 2007, 07:09 AM
There is only one rear fog light and it will always be on the driver's side. So for RHD, it is on the right and LHD, it is on the left. The car was designed like that. If you have 2 rear fogs, it will confuse drivers approaching from behind because they will think you have your foot on the brakes!!

I suppose you could get the other side to work.

It could stop alot of people from sitting on your jaxie when your driving.

koan

Quote from: oscar on 01 August 2007, 05:09 AM

So there you go, my headlight knob is obviously worn.  The indicator (green in my case) should come on with the front and rear lights plus the extra rear fog (which I've never seen work before).

Same as mine except for two things, the knob doesn't fall off and the knob doesn't light up.

Where is the lamp in the knob?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

oscar

Hi Koan,

The lamp is right behind the orange or green bit but plugged into the switch. 
Looking at the knob, I assume you just have to pull yours harder to remove it.  I don't reckon there's any other way. 

1973 350SE, my first & fave

koan

Thanks for that oscar, nice pictures and may I say what girly clean hands you have ;)

oscar

:D

Bugger, I broke a major rule on photography for home mechanics. 
I swear the finger pads have multiple cuts covered with blood mixed with oil and dirt.  Oh, and don't get me started on the blisters on blisters on my thumb. ;D

Brian Crump

QuoteThanks for that oscar, nice pictures and may I say what girly clean hands you have
Whoa!!! Now hang on there m8!!!! You wouldn't want dirty hands and chipped nails on the man who will give you the kiss of life after you've run yr car up a tree would you?  :o :o :o Maybe he wears gloves when he does that bit. Yeah - that'll be the answer. Latex gloves. Kinky  ;D
Regards,
BC

koan

Quote from: Brian Crump on 02 August 2007, 03:15 AM

You wouldn't want dirty hands and chipped nails on the man who will give you the kiss of life after you've run yr car up a tree would you?

I dunno about that, the smell of old oil and degreaser would probably resuscitate us old petrol heads.

koan

oscar

Quote from: koan on 02 August 2007, 05:09 AM
I dunno about that, the smell of old oil and degreaser would probably resuscitate us old petrol heads.

Well that's why I carry a can of Aerostart in my personal kit along with the human jumpstarter :D

Brian Crump

QuoteWell that's why I carry a can of Aerostart in my personal kit along with the human jumpstarter
What - no latex?  :'(

oscar

No latex, we're all nitrile due to "sensitivity" issues ::)  Nonetheless, steal a box if you can.  Very handy when working on your car in case you do need to keep your hands clean.  Plus they're more durable then latex and thin enough to be able to feel and twist nuts.  Oh FFS, you know what I mean   ;)

CA116

Another lighting downer for the US models (on top of the headlamps, that is, in my opinion): no rear fog lamp. The switch still pulls out the second click, but there is no wiring/bulb holder in the rear on either side for a rear fog lamp.

It is interesting how the labeling on the switch is different, as well, with the diagrams on the top of the switch and "LIGHTS" written on the bottom.

Not to distract too much from the thread, but does anyone use the directional parking lamps when parked on the street at night? I think they're in all Mercedes Benz vehicles, but I never see a Mercedes utilizing them at night here in California. Maybe our roads are just too wide? I also don't like the idea of draining the battery... but it's such a cool function, even if i don't get a rear fog lamp.  :-\
1980 300SD | 684H Pastel Beige | 204 Bamboo

OzBenzHead

Quote from: CA116 on 05 August 2007, 02:37 AM[...] but does anyone use the directional parking lamps when parked on the street at night? [...] I also don't like the idea of draining the battery [...]

I do, whenever parking anywhere vaguely at risk of a sideswipe or a shunt.

Not even in deepest winter has that run down my battery enough for me to notice.   Those directional "parking lamps" draw the tiniest current (something like two watts each? - so 4 watts per side), whilst the side lamps (i.e. the full set of four, WRONGLY called "parking lamps" in Oz) draw about 5 (?) watts each, making for a total drain of 20 watts - which could flatten a battery on a cold night.

No rear fog lamps?   Probably some part of the CA or Federalisation specs.

I'd rather have a separate, external (under-bumper?) rear foglamp (rather like the US front foggies but red - and only one - on the driver's side) and use the existing foglamp holes for an extra pair of brake lamps inside the standard lens units.  (Anyone tried this conversion?)
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Papalangi

My knob has the orange dot and I don't have fog lights of any kind.  Nor does my car :D

I looked at a 1994 E320 wagon last week that had an orange dot and both front and rear fog lights!  And it all worked!

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

koan

I eventually got the knob off the headlight switch and replaced the lamp. A bit odd it works only in the rear fog position.

Papalangi, the front fog lights are built into the headlights, the rear fog light is an extra lamp in one side of the rear light, left or right for LHD and RHD respectively. They are not extra bolted on lights.

koan.

mb280sel

That is true.

When you look at your front headlights, you will notice a rectangular shaped section on the light near the indicator - this is the fog light section. When they are on the headlights turn off ;D