News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Front windscreen glass replacement

Started by Howard60, 24 December 2019, 07:43 AM

Howard60

Hi All
I am about to replace my front windscreen along with the rubber, but wondered does anyone know a good stockist
or contact where I might get a glass and rubber from?
I have found a new/old screen on eBay for £350 -is that a lot? (seems like it)
And maybe get a new rubber, I will be trying Mercedes of Poole after Christmas for this as they used to stock old rubbers?

But any tips would be grateful. Cheers, Howard
Previously: 280ce W123, 450slc C107, 350se W116, 230e W123, 250ce W114

ptashek

Quote from: Howard60 on 24 December 2019, 07:43 AM
Hi All
I am about to replace my front windscreen along with the rubber, but wondered does anyone know a good stockist
or contact where I might get a glass and rubber from?
I have found a new/old screen on eBay for £350 -is that a lot? (seems like it)
And maybe get a new rubber, I will be trying Mercedes of Poole after Christmas for this as they used to stock old rubbers?

But any tips would be grateful. Cheers, Howard

New glass from MB is about 800 euro, so 350 sterling seems like a bargain if new and original. The seal is readily available from MB as well, not cheap, but do yourself a favour and don't buy aftermarket ones (glass and seal, both).

This is the biggest pain in the butt job on the W116, and not for the faint of heart. There's a video on this forum, the gold standard on how to do it properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4hAT0aSIyM
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Howard60

Thanks, useful video, if a little stressful!
But I think I can do it -just got to get me some string!

cheers

howard
Previously: 280ce W123, 450slc C107, 350se W116, 230e W123, 250ce W114

marku

It is not that difficult I did mine on my own never having fitted one before. I think the secret is to make really sure that the seal is firmly on the screen and of course that the trim is well fitted. I did have problems as the previous owner had for some reason levered the trim out of the seal and had bent it. If it doesn't conform exactly to the screen/seal contour then you will have problems fitting it under the lip of the new type seal.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

daantjie

Indeed a job not for the faint of heart but it can be done solo, although I would not recommend it, it is MUCH easier with another steady pair of hands.

99% of the success is the prep as with most things.  Clean up all the channels and trim very well before you fit it back.  Also it is easier to do this in warm ambient temps so the rubber flexes a bit more, and the glass for that matter.  Also do not be shy with the lube, I used Permatex Silicone Dialectric grease, my go to lube for rubber goodies, works like a charm and does not degrade the rubber.

Another tricky part is the sealant and where/how much to apply.  The only one to use is 3M Bedding and Glazing compound.  Some folks will apply to both the channel and between the glass and seal on the outside.  Up to you, but as a min you need to add it to the channel in the bodywork in my opinion.  Also the volume to use is tricky, not too much and not too little, I would say a 10mm bead is more than enough.  Any more than that and clean up becomes a nightmare.  I learnt that one the hard way, I spent 4hrs plus 2 cans of cleaner on both myself and the car, NOT fun :o

Good luck ;)
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Rolo

I have one of the unfortunate silver cars that had to be repainted after it started to look like an over door.  When I replaced my windshield, I found rust on the small cowl panels at the base.  I don't know if it was because the paint was damaged during the windshield R&I, or if all cars are susceptible.