News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Front seat reinforcements

Started by Howard60, 05 November 2020, 08:26 AM

Howard60

I wasn't sure whether to start a new topic, as this relates to my previous research into collapsed
drivers and passenger seats. But, hey what the hell!

Has anyone tried this method, seems pretty straight forward to install, and would appear to be
a logical solution. Has anyone tried this method? Does it hold up?

https://www.kurth-classics-autoparts.de/gb/seat-improvement/431-mercedes-w116-seat-reinforcement.html
Previously: 280ce W123, 450slc C107, 350se W116, 230e W123, 250ce W114

rumb

That looks very promising to make the seat more firm.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

floyd111

This is something of interest to me as well. I got all seat spring and pads issues covered, except the rear seat spring unit.
The method of adding foam rolls in/under collapsed spring units is not new. The results are generally very mediocre. "As good as it gets" without spending a bucket, but very so so.
Maybe these front seat triangles are of a better material, better shaped, better positioned? I would not bet on it.
It's definitely cheaper than replacing the spring unit!

Mostly the issue with bad seat springs is broken connection points, or broken springs. Spring fatigue..maybe not a first line issue.
I would think that those foam triangles are only a decent remedy when the issue is strictly fatigue.

revilla

Cost/Benefit. The equation always works. Value=Quality/$$$.
For $50 if it was me, I would install them and test the reliability/sustainability for a few months. If it doesn't work after a while the $50 would be deprecated anyway. It's a reversible solution, so you can always go back and change the metal frame/springs later on. What the heck.

floyd111

Truer words are rarely spoken..

Howard60

Bit of an update.
The kit I purchased and received was not for the model I have.
It may be different for later models but my 1974 W116 has coil springs (dont know if this is the case
for later ones?) The image shown on Kurth Classics website shows a completely different spring
configuration?
When I dismantled my first seat, I realised the mistake. So I have returned them (nothing else available apparently) and I will
be using the foam cylinder method mentioned in some earlier posts.
If I learn anything new, I will update.
Shame :(

Howard

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: Howard60 on 16 November 2020, 12:47 PM
Bit of an update.
The kit I purchased and received was not for the model I have.
It may be different for later models but my 1974 W116 has coil springs (dont know if this is the case
for later ones?) The image shown on Kurth Classics website shows a completely different spring
configuration?
When I dismantled my first seat, I realised the mistake. So I have returned them (nothing else available apparently) and I will
be using the foam cylinder method mentioned in some earlier posts.
If I learn anything new, I will update.
Shame :(

Howard

Yes, the early cars had coil springs, and later were torsion springs. Another option is to use the seat base from a late W126, which are very firm. I plan on doing this swap at some point.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Howard60

I have successfully upgraded my front seat!
For those interested, I will attach the images which show firstly the underside of the passenger chair
before the upholstery was removed.

The second exposes the coils spring which I hadn't realised these early seats have, so taking the idea of using
pool noodles £10 for two, I opted to take this DIY route.

The 3rd image shows the first foam finger cut (bread knife) and 'screwed' into the spring.
I tough job, made easier on the next one with a light smear of olive oil to the inside of the spring
(Engine lube may affect the plastic foam, so I went for the organic option).

Image 4, 14 foam reinforcements later, all at varying heights.
The outside edge was much easier than inside, hence me choosing to not do all the springs, which I think
should be OK for the average human girth!

This and the reassembly took a whole day to complete. Im going to wait a few weeks before I do the drivers side, it really did hurt!
But the outcome seems to be better than the original would have been back in 1974. But only time and use will tell.

adamb

That looks good. Looking forward to hearing how it rides. BTW I also do lots of car work on the kitchen counter ;)

Howard60

Yeah, I have to draw a line at the oily stuff though.

Fergus

Thanks for the pictures Howard

Looks great and very helpful

Fergus

mrkozzy

Sorry to come late to the party. Found the picture by accident.  (gave up looking for it weeks ago.)

This is what worked for me on both my front seats. It was done maybe 5 years ago now and its holding up.

Similar in concept to the doodle idea.

The folding over on the sides, (in effect making it 3 layers as against one in the center) is what gives me the supported edge on the sides. 

MrKozzy

Givall

it seems like your method is much more better for long-term using

Howard60

In fact Mr Kozzy, the first option I ordered was for your seat spring configuration.
But Im guessing yours was cheaper, but no less effective.