News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Front armrest

Started by marku, 26 March 2021, 01:32 PM

marku

Anyone ever seen inside one. What a complicated moulding. It had never worked and was generally kept up. However decided to see if it could be corrected. Surprise, the entire moulding was completely shattered and only being kept in place by the foam. Can only think that someone had sat on it. Worse the PO had tried to mend it by pouring glue in. Not a success. Doesn't look repairable. Wonder what the chances of a replacement are?
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

ptashek

They're perfectly replaceable. All you need is the covering to swap out and you're good to go.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

rumb

Are you referring to the black plug cover is broken?  Inside that hole is a nut that holds the armrest on.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

marku

Quote from: rumb on 26 March 2021, 04:46 PM
Are you referring to the black plug cover is broken?  Inside that hole is a nut that holds the armrest on.

No the entire plastic moulding inside the foam block, well the cylinder part not the support extension, that goes on the seat bracket  is completely shattered.

Completely replaceable? From where? An address would help although I think out of interest I might attempt gluing it back together. Not really practical though there are a lot of pieces. Who would have thought that it was quite so brittle?

ptashek

A pic would help as I have a hard time figuring out what exactly you're referring to :)

You could simply replace the entire arm rest, and just put the old covering on the replacement.

marku

Quote from: ptashek on 28 March 2021, 01:01 PM
A pic would help as I have a hard time figuring out what exactly you're referring to :)

You could simply replace the entire arm rest, and just put the old covering on the replacement.

Replacing the whole armrest would be the sensible option. I have the cover of course. The broken moulding is embedded within the foam block and would not be available separately. I cut the foam block in half to extract the moulding to see if it could be repaired and if so it could all be glued back together. I would not have thought a replacement armrest was available.

Taha

Hi,

I don't know about the condition of your armrest but I used some glue and piece of metal to fix mine. It was broken in the middle.

Good luck.

1978 280S

marku

Thanks for the photos. You got it out of the foam very neatly. With mine it is the cylinder part not the extension and it is quite literally shattered in to many pieces. Looks like I will have to attempt gluing it as I think the chances of finding a RHD armrest are remote. I don't think they are interchangeable with LHD.

ptashek

Quote from: marku on 30 March 2021, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the photos. You got it out of the foam very neatly. With mine it is the cylinder part not the extension and it is quite literally shattered in to many pieces. Looks like I will have to attempt gluing it as I think the chances of finding a RHD armrest are remote. I don't think they are interchangeable with LHD.

They are interchangeable as the armrest is always on the left seat.
There's a few for sale on German eBay: here and here

If you get stuck with sourcing a proper one, and won't mind waiting a few weeks, we could try the 3D printing route.
Given reasonably complete metric measurements, I could attempt to repro that internal element in CAD, and you'd just need to find someone locally to print it for you.
I've had good results so far with parts I've reproduced for my W124s (see below) so there's that as a last resort option ;)

Unfortunately I've sold my spare armrest last year.

ptashek

I spoke too soon ;)
Looking at Xentry, the armrest was standardised for mounting on the left seat only at certain VIN breaks across the models.

marku

Quote from: ptashek on 31 March 2021, 05:13 PM
I spoke too soon ;)
Looking at Xentry, the armrest was standardised for mounting on the left seat only at certain VIN breaks across the models.

[/quote/

Mine is on the RH seat the driver's. It would be a great help if you care to have a go. It's quite large. There repair kits on ebay. de but they appear to be wholly metal and cost 250 euros plus shipping.

floyd111

But, if some cars have the mid rest attached to the left, and others to the right chair, can't one simply get  "just any mid rest" and attach it the "the other chair"?
Or am i missing something?

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 02 April 2021, 10:26 PM
But, if some cars have the mid rest attached to the left, and others to the right chair, can't one simply get  "just any mid rest" and attach it the "the other chair"?
Or am i missing something?

That depends on if both seats have the required mounting points. Worth a try!

ptashek

Quote from: marku
Mine is on the RH seat the driver's. It would be a great help if you care to have a go. It's quite large. There repair kits on ebay. de but they appear to be wholly metal and cost 250 euros plus shipping.

That's not a terrible price if they're metal. I assume aluminium?

If you want to go the 3D route, I'll need a lot of well focused photos from every possible angle + reference measurements of every feature.

marku

Quote from: ptashek on 03 April 2021, 03:49 AM
Quote from: marku

That's not a terrible price if they're metal. I assume aluminium?

If you want to go the 3D route, I'll need a lot of well focused photos from every possible angle + reference measurements of every feature.

It would seem that it is a later design and for a LH seat. Not possible to give any sort of accurate data regarding the moulding as I said it is completely shattered. Did attempt to assemble it (unglued) to see if anything missing but it is in really bad shape. I don't thing repair is practical as I cannot see it having any strength.