News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Fresh air intake grille questions

Started by daantjie, 28 August 2017, 11:16 PM

daantjie

Hi guys

Prepping for the front  window seal replacement.  Pulled the chrome grille and mesh type cover underneath which I am assuming is to keep debris like bugs and leaves out.

The top of the metal mesh appears to have been black, and the bottom is metal colour, assuming aluminium?  Question, would it be OK just to spray the top matte black again to make it pop nicely underneath the chrome?

Also, there  are 3 rubber seals which appear to clip onto the mesh at the window side.  Anybody know how these 3 pieces need to be positioned per spec?

Cheers
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ptashek

Quote from: daantjie on 28 August 2017, 11:16 PM
Hi guys

Prepping for the front  window seal replacement.  Pulled the chrome grille and mesh type cover underneath which I am assuming is to keep debris like bugs and leaves out.

The top of the metal mesh appears to have been black, and the bottom is metal colour, assuming aluminium?  Question, would it be OK just to spray the top matte black again to make it pop nicely underneath the chrome?

Also, there  are 3 rubber seals which appear to clip onto the mesh at the window side.  Anybody know how these 3 pieces need to be positioned per spec?

Cheers

I might be wrong, but I think the top of the mesh was anodised black originally. At least that's what it appears like on the two I have.
As for the seals, no rocket science there - one to each side and one in the centre.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

rumb

I sprayed mine black matte, and the new seals were pretty much self evident how they attached.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

daantjie

Thanks guys.
Still not sure if the lip on the seals point up or down though? Guess I'm being a bit slow  :o
Daniel

marku

What about the fixings for the grille. They appear to be those push fit grommet type but mine are missing. Am I right and if so are they available somewhere?
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

daantjie

Quote from: marku on 29 August 2017, 12:20 PM
What about the fixings for the grille. They appear to be those push fit grommet type but mine are missing. Am I right and if so are they available somewhere?

Indeed, I bought a whole bag of them as I think they are single use for sure:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040CWZKC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Daniel

marku

1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof