News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Floppy armrest - any easy/quick fixes?

Started by daantjie, 23 December 2020, 07:09 PM

daantjie

Hi guys

This one has been way down on "the list" but it has been annoying me over the years.  I have the fold down armrest, not sure if this standard on all models, but mine seems to be very floppy, not sturdy at all.  Seems like a worn/stripped out bushing/bearing somewhere in the mix.

Looking at the EPC it seems a bit involved to get to the parts, as in stripping the whole driver seat out which I am obviously not keen on ::)  Can one access the guts of the thing from the armrest passenger side?  There seems to be a cap/vent of sorts covering the internals, but I am sure trying to get this cap off will likely end up in busting it up as it looks like plastic.

Anybody tackle this one yet?

Cheers
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

daantjie

Made some progress, and of course unearthed previous crappy workmanship, yay :o  The driver seat was recovered by the previous owner and clearly the shop did some less than stellar work on putting the bracket back on the seat >:( >:( >:(

Access to the large bolt and counter hold bolt that holds the bracket is via the back panel, once you remove that then you can remove the whole unit and then refurb/undo the botchiness at your leasure on the bench ;)

Of course the large 27mm nut was rusted to hell so THAT was fun...
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber