News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Flat door panels vs thick moulded panels

Started by gregdeklerk, 30 March 2007, 12:55 AM

gregdeklerk

I was under the impression that the flat panels were unique to South African cars, but it seems that other members, not in South Africa, have cars with the flat panels. Does anyone know the official position?

Mforcer

I am not entirely sure what the differences are that you are referring to. Do you know of any comparison photos?
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Martin 280s

My door panels are the simplier variety. I think the thick moulded ones were referred to as a 'luxury' finish

oscar

I'm surprised noone has added photos yet.  Courtesy of my 280 and 350.  I have only seen pics of the thin type on 280S models in Oz.  Ryan said all SA 116's had thin as greg would probably know.  I'm pretty sure most if not all 280S had the thin moulds.

Thin

Thick

1973 350SE, my first & fave

gregdeklerk

It is interesting to note that it is not a unique thing to South Africa. There are other parts of the world where there are the thin door panels!! If you look on the EPC, they only show the wider moulded panel, so I was intrigued.

s class

My guess is the thin pads might have been a 280S feature, and when speccing the cars for the local market MB south africa may have decided to economise by using this across the model range. 

I strongly suspect the thin variety would only be available for SWB models. 

I actually like the thin pads, but to us South Africans the thick ones have the added attraction of being 'exotic'. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Martin 280s

I've seen the more simple trim on other models than the M110 engined cars. It's strange to see moulded door trims and a mechanical window winder!

Bandolero

The "thicker pads" are there because warm air can be directed through the pad to defrost the front door windows.
Maybe the cars that were shipped to warm climates did not need this feature. Also, it would have cost less to make and some countries got lower spec cars.
I have seen a few imported cars at the wreckers and some had the thinner door pads. Maybe they were imported from South Africa. (As quite a few were.)
Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

oscar

It would seem they do the same thing--

Bandolero

er....if that photo is of a flat panel, my theory has been blown out the door.
(Pun intended.)
Maybe the thinner pads were made for the (lesser) export markets to save money.
Lesser as in less sales.....I dunno...I give up.... ???
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

oscar

Personally I think it's all to do with cost.  Only because of what others have said but there's another correlation.

There is a difference in Mb-Tex whereby the seats in the thick door sided cars have sewn pleats and all joins whereas the thin door sided cars have heat sealed pleats and some joins. 

Thin sided 280

Thick sided 350

Bandolero

Aahh, the cost factor makes sense after what you have just shown us in the photos.

s class

My thin door skins very definately still have the air ducting.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

gregdeklerk

Quote from: s class on 31 March 2007, 08:00 AM
My thin door skins very definately still have the air ducting.

Mine too. All the thin panels have the airducting.

oscar

The only thing I don't like about the thick moulds is that there's a tendency to lean one arm on them which wears them down.  My driver's side is shiny with the fake leather grain almost nonexistent.