News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Flat door panels vs thick moulded panels

Started by gregdeklerk, 30 March 2007, 12:55 AM

116Benz

I think I might be able to shed some light on this....I have 5 W116 brochures, 1x 1973 and 1x 1974 and 1x 1976 (73 is the 6 cyl, 74 is the V8's and the 76 is the 6 cylinder), the thicker door padding was an additional extra for the 280S and 280SE and standard on the 280SEL upwards (I have another 2 brochures from 1978 has it standard on all of the models). Hope that can help.

oscar

Hi 116benz and welcome.  Where you been? ;D

I've only got a 350se brochure from 73.  It's a LHD model pictured throughout and does have the thicker moulds but I've never checked to see if any mention is made of the door moulds.  What we know is definitely all South African 116's had thin doors.  Beyond that, I've assumed only 280s had thin doors around the world, but I find it interesting to see you mention the 280se had thick doors as an option.  Does it say that in the brochures or are you going off pics?  I don't know if I've seen pics of a 280se with thin doors but I may not have noticed.  I'll pay closer attention next time I'm googling w116's.  Thanks for the input.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

116Benz

To be honest, I tripped over this site and Ozbenz totally by accident in my search for a 116. The early brochure in particular, have a pic of both doors (thick and thin) And also makes mention of it being optional. The last time I looked at a S.A Benz was about 10 yrs ago (incidentaly, the S.A ones have small corner refletors both front and back on the bumpers) I never paid attention to the doors. There was also on Ebay about a month ago a cypress green 280SE sedan that was free BUT you were bidding on the first aid kit that came with it as a bonus (from memory it was a 73), that car had the thin door  panels. The 73 450SEL that I owned for about a month a few years ago had the thick panels.
The 116 bug has bitten again now that I have the space for 2 cars, its guna be fun!

116Benz

Thanks Styria,
My thoughts were that they simplified everything when the 6.9 hit the market, finding out the S.A cars had the thin panels from start to finish were a surprise though.
Yeah the Benz bug has always been there, its just had to lay dormant for a while, 70's models are the favourites (116's in particular)

gregdeklerk

Quote from: 116Benz on 08 April 2007, 11:12 AM
(incidentaly, the S.A ones have small corner refletors both front and back on the bumpers)

Red for the rear and white for the front. It had something to do with government requirements. I will get a photo up for you guys tomorrow.

Greg

116Benz

Quote from: gregdeklerk on 09 April 2007, 03:14 AM
Quote from: 116Benz on 08 April 2007, 11:12 AM
(incidentaly, the S.A ones have small corner refletors both front and back on the bumpers)

Red for the rear and white for the front. It had something to do with government requirements. I will get a photo up for you guys tomorrow.

Greg

Thats the one, the W123's had them in the headlight units between the main and fog lights and under the tail lights at the back. Lemme get this right..ALL the S.A 116's including the V8's had the thin panel interiors? interesting....

gregdeklerk

Quote from: 116Benz on 09 April 2007, 03:39 AM
Thats the one, the W123's had them in the headlight units between the main and fog lights and under the tail lights at the back. Lemme get this right..ALL the S.A 116's including the V8's had the thin panel interiors? interesting....

Just remember the SA factory only produced 280S, 280SE and 350SE. No SEL and no 450. Yes all models produced here had the thin panels.

Quote from: WGB on 04 April 2007, 08:24 PM
It seems my ML is WDC1641752A208381

I assume the 52 is RHD non-German Auto.

I believe, that it would break down as 164.175 2A 208381 where 164 is chassis, and 175 is model.  A seems to be automatic of late, 2 still being German-made RHD, but I'm not totally sure.

Quote from: oscar on 04 April 2007, 08:24 PM
I don't know if I've seen pics of a 280se with thin doors but I may not have noticed.

I'll have to post some pics of my German made 280SE.  It's got the thin panels.

WGB

Thanks for the reply 116.025 but as 164's are all made in the USA as far as I know the 5 to me means Not-German made and the 2 - Auto, but this still leaves the A.

Bill

gregdeklerk

Bill, I also have an "A" in my 123 VIN no. I will try and find out what it means.

gregdeklerk

Bill the "A" denotes the factory that the car was made in. "A" in your case would be "America". In my case it would be "Africa"

My 190E has a "G" in its VIN, which I take to mean "Germany".

Greg

Quote from: WGB on 10 April 2007, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the reply 116.025 but as 164's are all made in the USA as far as I know the 5 to me means Not-German made and the 2 - Auto, but this still leaves the A.

Bill

Hmm, good point.  Shows I was a little tired when I posted that...doesn't help that the US cars haven't used anything other than the madated system since 1981, either...I was extrapolating from the fact that the early post '81 non-USA VINs still used the system like our 116s, i.e., 3 digit chassis # followed by 3 digit model #, then birthplace/drive side and transmission type.

Greg, good info.  Regarding the 190E, I'm surprised they wouldn't use "D" for Deustchland...though I've already shown I'm outside my knowledge base, so I'll shutup now.  :-\

gregdeklerk

I agree with you about Deustchland. I just took a guess about the "G".

WGB

Thanks Guys.

None of my other Benzes have had a letter in them that I know.

Bill

johnnyw116

the first 280's had the flat panels and the 350/450 have the thick panels standard
around 75/76 the 280's also got the thick panels , and i thought the thick panels was an option for the early 280's (in europe) there were even 280's with no headrests on the seats in europe ! 
JohnnyW116