News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Flagpole

Started by marku, 08 May 2018, 12:23 PM

marku

Further on the debate regarding the unavailability of the 116 flag pole. I wondered if the later S Class models might not have had a similar fitting and that perhaps it wouldn't look out of place. Picked at random the W220 and looked on the EPC. It does have one that looks very similar but without the star. Don't know how much or its availability so its possible. Always fancied one. 
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

Harv

My understand is that the flags with the stars on the top are always parking poles and the straight poles were for flags.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

marku

I didn't know so I looked it up in the parts catalogue. Both have fixings for a pennant but the one with the star is fixed behind the wheel arch midway to the door. Without the star is fixed forward of the wheel arch and quite low midway to the indicator which I would think is the proper place and would serve both functions and why you can't have the star pole there just seems odd. The W220 one, without the star, is exactly the same as the 116 so why listed as NLA? Perhaps some one with greater insight in to MB parts availability could explain. If any one is interested the part nos are left A220809 01 95 and right 02 95. Got to book a service in the next few days so if I remember I will check the price.

floyd111

What I know is that the old official flag poles have attachment pieces in the fenders, requiring a drilled hole. The flag poles  are detachable and came with and without stars over the years, depending on the model.

All pre-1995 parking pennants have specially made twisted steel brackets that connect elsewhere, -like under the bumper- depending on the model. NOT on the fender.
Now, there are new gen pennants sold in Japan, and please discount those. Check pics underneath They are easily detectable, often plastic, flimsy, and have noting to do with this topic

If you have a look at my own thread here, you will find nearly every model listed.
https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/option-list-w116-the-full-monty!/msg122613/#msg122613

marku

The first ones look very good but aren't they the parking aids mentioned previously? The Mercedes ones have small brackets to attach a pennant.

floyd111

yes, I focused on the pennants, for flag pole specs, numbers and photos are quite abundant. Find'm and pay'm top dollar.
Pennants are abundant, with choices for much less money.