News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Fire extinguisher

Started by raueda1, 18 April 2019, 10:22 AM

raueda1

My car doesn't have one and the original kit seems to be pure unobtainium.  Anybody have thoughts on a viable and attractive substitute? Thanks!
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

Squiggle Dog

A fire extinguisher is definitely something I want to install so one day my investment and only transportation doesn't go up in flames. For me the main consideration is something that's cheap and easily obtainable so if I ever have to use it, I didn't just blow away $300 or whatever. I have noticed that the old brass Pyrene fire extinguishers (which are well before the era of our cars) are made to be refillable. I wonder if one of those would be practical and effective to use.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

daantjie

I have one which I just bought at a hardware type store, I think it's a household one.  Cheap and I just lay it on the floor of the passenger footwell.  Let me put it this way, if your car is going up in flames, are your really going to be worried if this is an OE spec, sourced at great expense and effort one, or do you want to grab one that is at hand and put that fire out chop-chop ::)?
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ptashek

What Daniel said :)

While I have the "real deal" in the car (checked and serviced, too) I also have a spare unit in the trunk. For me it's more of a legal necessity than anything else, as many European countries that I travel to require cars to carry a fire extinguisher at all times (along with spare bulbs, fuses, first aid kit, warning triangle and hi-vis vest).

While K-Jets are not known to spontaneously self-combust like D-Jets, diesels probably even less so, it's a cheap "peace of mind" thing.

If you want the original thing they're reasonably plentiful on German eBay. About 150eur should get you a good example with holder (haggle hard).

A modern version of the same Minimax extinguisher, less W116 specific holder, is available for under 30eur. It's called the PU-1G: https://www.minimax-mobile-shop.com/Feuerloescher/Pulver-Kompakt-Feuerloescher/Pulver-Kompaktfeuerloescher-PU-1-G-1-kg::1.html
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

Quote from: ptashek on 18 April 2019, 02:35 PM
What Daniel said :)

While I have the "real deal" in the car (checked and serviced, too) I also have a spare unit in the trunk. For me it's more of a legal necessity than anything else, as many European countries that I travel to require cars to carry a fire extinguisher at all times (along with spare bulbs, fuses, first aid kit, warning triangle and hi-vis vest).

While K-Jets are not known to spontaneously self-combust like D-Jets, diesels probably even less so, it's a cheap "peace of mind" thing.

If you want the original thing they're reasonably plentiful on German eBay. About 150eur should get you a good example with holder (haggle hard).

A modern version of the same Minimax extinguisher, less W116 specific holder, is available for under 30eur. It's called the PU-1G: https://www.minimax-mobile-shop.com/Feuerloescher/Pulver-Kompakt-Feuerloescher/Pulver-Kompaktfeuerloescher-PU-1-G-1-kg::1.html

You have a checked and serviced Minimax in your car?? I did not know such was even possible..

About those Minimaxes, I have said it many times.. You can not ship them, unless it's ground transport. Ocean costs 1000usd for packing and Air is illegal.

If you start cold-calling dumps around the country, you're bound to find one. I found 3 in 1 day, just mailing random dumps in Holland. All were super cheap, around 10 to 30 euros on average. It's not that they don't exist in abundance. It's just a thing dumps don't bother advertising, because they are unaware anyone would ever be interested. I just wish I had known this, because I only found out after years of searching, haggling and struggling. Now I have too many of them, haha!

slfan

The important thing here is that the base and red plastic attachment straps are not broken.  Unfortunately many bases are damaged.
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 - 3170
1978 - 450SEL 6.9 "Parts Car" - 2973

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 18 April 2019, 10:50 PM

You have a checked and serviced Minimax in your car?? I did not know such was even possible..

Not only possible, but also necessary. The extinguisher powder mix tends to clump after several years, rendering the unit useless, and needs to be replaced. Easily done by a professional service.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

No doubt all true and wise, but I just get a kick out of the idea to have a functional Minimax, haha!

TJ 450

I'm not sure it's the case everywhere, but vehicle fire extinguishers are readily available here with mounts that screw straight on to the factory bracket.
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

floyd111

No doubt they are for sale all over, but there are madmen out there that insist on spending the big bucks on a 40 year old extinguisher instead.  ;D