News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Euro light question

Started by 1980sdga, 15 December 2011, 09:54 AM

1980sdga

I guess I'm committed to changing over to euro lights on my 300SD but I'm a little confused.  I'm guessing that US lights are designed to "throw" light to the right in order to keep from blinding oncoming traffic. Does this mean that euro lights will focus the light to the left? 

Any input would be most welcome. Looking at pictures just makes me more confused than I normally am  :o

MB_Mike

The light pattern from the Euros would only be a problem for us in America if the lights came from a market that drives on the left side of the road. Other European countries drive on the right as we do.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

1980sdga

Thanks! So, any advice on what to look for when ID'ing LHD euro lights?  From looking at pictures I notice the "pie slice" diffuser pattern on the lenses so I imagine that therein lies a clue  ;D

Type17

The pie-slice on RHD-market lights will be on the other side, ie: on the left side of the lens as you look from in front of the car.

The only non-US lights you'd need to avoid would be from the UK, Irl, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and Japan (and a few other places that were formerly part of the British Empire). Most of Asia and Europe will be fine.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

Big_Richard

Type17

Getting cool(er) air from outside (versus warmer air from under the hood) is only an issue in really hot weather, especially perhaps when restarting when the engine is hot as well. Even then, with fuel injection rather than a carb, it's probably not going to be noticeable.

Squiggle Dog

Yes, if you install Euro headlights, your intake will be sealed off, which will cause the car to lose power and smoke. No one on the other forums would believe me because they had W123s and 126s.

What I did was disconnect the intake tube at the funnel, put a large spraypaint cap over the funnel, pushed the intake tube firmly onto the air cleaner (a hose clamp might help keep it in place), then let the open end of the intake tube point toward the opening at the bottom of the hood. Cold air still comes in from under the hood, so there shouldn't be any performance change.

At first I removed the intake tube completely and noticed that the car would run hot on hills. The way I have it now, there is no noticeable difference in performance from the factory setup. Supposedly, one issue of The Star Magazine covers this and shows how to fix it properly, but maybe this is an urban legend.

Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Type17

Strange that MB chose such a 'sealed' route for air to the diesel - the petrol engine is designed to just use whatever's passing (see pic below), and doesn't get hot on hills, even in high summer (well, high summer in Northern Europe  ;) ), and this when the accepted theory is that petrols generate more heat than diesels.

Either way, looks like Squiggle Dog has sorted out the right modification for a diesel car with Euro lights  :) .

Big_Richard

1980sdga

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 16 December 2011, 05:18 PM

should be able to make an SD faster than 6.9 with some tinkering.

maybe i should just buy one and be done with it.

MT's drinking again  ;D

I plan on doing a front mounted IC in the future and maybe a slightly larger/ more efficient turbo. I'm actually mulling over a water/ air IC but I've never done one.

You really should try to round one up if you can find them Down Under.  Great road cruisers that roll at 80 mph all day and get about 22 MPG.  I've eked out better than 25 MPG with mine  8)

Nothing sexy about the sound of a 617 though  ???

I should have some Euro lights and WIPERS soon !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpa0Y9210CQ

Big_Richard

1980sdga

The exhaust, turbo, intake and starter are on that side but they're tucked up pretty high. Did you guys get 126 diesels?  OM 617 with very similar running gear. The body has a lot less appeal than 116's...

Big_Richard

1980sdga

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 16 December 2011, 08:09 PM

Oh dear how the tables have turned, i just read the USA didnt get the S320 CDI ;)

Ummm... I remember when we gave a collective US hallelujah when the '04 GTO arrived on our shores. Seems you guys once enjoyed the good stuff that we couldn't taste.

Back on topic...

I'm guessing the square part of the lights are the hi/lo and the outboard reflectors are driving lights?  When are the outboard lights on?

And thanks for that Squig. I'll probably go the same route.

Big_Richard