News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Euro Headlight installation

Started by 500eguy, 10 April 2008, 03:25 AM

500eguy

Guys, i recieved my Headlights (thanks cam) been on holiday and  its time to get some more stuff done to the 116. I am really confused about how they go on the car and what side is which. If any of you kind gents could throw some info my way that would be most appreciated. :)

WGB

Some others may have photos and I will photograph my shell (s) in the next few days when I have time if they don't turn up.

The body coloured trim under the headlight needs to be removed,
The foglight is always to the outside and they only fit one way up and down depending on whether they are left or right sided.

The whole headlight assembly is screwed with long self tapping screws - from memory 3 top and 3 bottom (and 1 on radiator edge from memory) into plastic thread inserts.

The indicator assembly is pushed in last.

Your biggest problem will probably be the wiring.

Bill

500eguy

so the foglight is on the outside? always? when i got my headlights the stupid post broke one of the lenses.

WGB

Yes for some reason the fog light is on the outside - from memory the opposite of a 126.

I assume you have (Had ) LHD lenses as the low beam cut-off is controlled by the lenses themselves and the reflectors and housings as far as I know are the same LHD and RHD.

The lenses are easy to break if not held securely by the rotating clips or the clearance is not quite correct and just shutting a bonnet can break one.

Bill

oscar

Quote from: WGB on 10 April 2008, 03:50 AM
The whole headlight assembly is screwed with long self tapping screws - from memory 3 top and 3 bottom (and 1 on radiator edge from memory) into plastic thread inserts.

I went and took some photos of the attachment points whilst grinding away at the yellow 280 today.  I was surprised to see metal threads.  Like a blind nut type of clip to receive the screws.  I would've agrred with you WGB about the plastic threads as that's what the 350 and 280S has.  Anyway, another one of those quirky differences but the position of the wholes should be the same.  The only difference I think is the shape of the hollow.  The US ones look deeper and slightly different shape.  Hopefully the plugs will be a straight fit too but I don't know.

Check the following 500eguy.  The first is the left hand side of my yellow 280.  The 2nd shot is the opposite side of Alabassi's restored 6.9.  They both have 6 holes; ie 2 high, 2 low, 2 near the radiator.  I know Al put euros in but the holes look like they're in the same spot before and after the repaint.

Where are you Al?  Any probs with your conversion to Euro's?

The next two pics are the size of the screws needed. One light I removed had two lengths but I think they should all be the same being this size shown below.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

13B

When I put the US headlights on my euro 6.9 (#3904) they fitted fine, all the 6 screws fitted and the depth of the headlight bucket was fine.

I needed a slight modification to the wiring (which I can't remember how I did it now) but it was a more-or-less bolt-in job.

Ian.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

500eguy

Thanks guys, i got my other lense in so we should be a go tomorrow:)