News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Euro Bumper Dilemma

Started by 500eguy, 13 January 2008, 01:28 AM

500eguy

ok, cleaned the tank up and took some photos of the car as of today, you can see the AMG Wheel with Dash Cap, the Centras and the Euro Bumpers. Let me know what you guys think. The Front Valence piece is on but the grill is not, so it may look a little off... plus i don't have the centers to those centras.

The Pentas are being refinished, The AMG front Spoiler is being painted and the euro lights are in transit. :)

alabbasi

That was a great conversion. I love the AMG wheel and the black on black interior.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

WGB

Looks like a great job and a great car.

Do you get any reactions from the locals as we are quite accustomed to the Euro Specs and I find the USA bumpers strange in appearance.

Bill

oscar

Ditto Al.  500, that looks lush.  Don't know about you guys but I like the US dual sealed beams with Euro bumpers combo.  I almost bought some last year.  But man your car is looking sweet. 8) 8)

That AMG wheel does look the goods too.  I'm starting to like that style better than any other.

What about the bumper conversion?  Any dramas any tips?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

500eguy

as far as i know the conversion was done without a problem, it did help that the man who installed the bumpers had a lot of metal working/ welding experience. This was something i would not have been able to do without his help. the rears were the easiest.... I used all the pictures posted on this thread to ensure everything was done correctly. Thanks again for all the advice and help that came in!

Thanks for all the kind words about the car, it has come a long way from when i first started,  Oscar i am kinda liking the us headlights but i think i like the euro lights a bit better. You can have my us lights for free, i can mail them to you if you want. The AMG wheel does dress up the interior a great deal.

Next thing: AMG Spoiler Fitment!

oscar

Johnny, I'll get back to you in the next few days re the lights.  I gotta go on another long haul drive for work in the next 20mins but I got four days off afterwards and will PM you.  Have you got a set of euro lights?  I can't remember if you said so or not but I'd be keen on a swap.  The only problem is that my lenses are RHD specific and throw the light out differently to LHD euro lenses.  Similarly, your US lights are specific for LHD cars in the way the light is projected.  Personally, I'm not too fussed about this issue for me but you may have to source some LHD euro lenses if your going to get pipped by local authorities.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

500eguy

well, i have a set of euros coming in from Cam "selfor50" i should be ok with rhd  lenses as no one would probably notice. One of the lights is out on so you will have to change one of them. Just let me know what you want to do... a man can never have to many spare lights:) if it is not to much hassle we can do a swap, if not no big deal:)

Andrew280SEL

Johnny, that looks great. :)

I too especially like that AMG wheel, I so have to get one from somewhere 8)

Can't wait to see the end result with the AMG spoiler and all. :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

arootbeer

So THAT is what the front of a 116 is supposed to look like!  Mine didn't have any headlights, or a bumper installed...  8)

Your car is stunning; It seems you were able to get the bumpers installed more easily than shipped :P

alabbasi

We can find you another one. Texas is full of Euro spec cars.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

500eguy

Matt, Thanks again for the great deal and communication. You are the only one who would help me ship those heavy things to Hawaii! thanks again everyone for the motivational comments! comments like that make me want to work harder to finish my car:)

Nutz

They won't let you stick that safety sticker in the middle of your license plate like here on Maui?

500eguy

no, they will pull you over and give you a ticket :(, i am going to the sticker ona metal plate and mount under the bumper.

500eguy

Hawaii has a inspection sticker, you can see it on the right side of my rear bumper.

500eguy

yea, you need to get a safety before you can get the annual registration.