News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Euro 280SE 4-Speed manual

Started by TJ 450, 29 October 2011, 08:27 AM

s class

So TJ, to whom does this car now belong?  ;)

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

I want a manual w116 now!  >:(

All it took was 1 drive  :o

oscar

;D  Hello track car, Barbagallo Raceway here they come!

Not a stupid idea, given that the interior's kaput and although I'm very optimistic about the rust repairs, there's no reason to bring this thing back to its former glory.  I can understand you guys might want to put the powertrain into a better body perhaps but then what.  I think you guys should have fun with it.  The manual trans is the big attraction here and the only way to enjoy it is by keeping your feet busy over three pedals whilst throwing the chassis round.  You've got conventional suspension already to tweak, the much preferred exhaust headers which lends itself to a better custom DIY exhaust.   Plenty of k-jet and m110 mods out there.  From tweaking inlet and exhaust cam timing independantly to supercharging.  So patch it up, custom race livery, concetrate on mechanicals and get it on a track and have fun  8)  Just my thoughts ;)

Quote from: 1980sdga on 30 October 2011, 01:05 PM
Is that a "York" type AC compressor?

Yep.  I've only had one working in the red 280S when that was running.  R134a and blew cold but once running for a short time piston slap was evident which apparently someone said is common as they age.

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 29 October 2011, 09:32 AM
The stick was however all over the place, i suspect the linkage bushings are all rotten and it does not spring back to the center. I dont know if thats normal or not  ::)

Most defnitely it'll be bushes. The bushes under the stick were fine and mine centres fine but there was too much slop during shifting.  When I investigated the result was below.  Old bushings are superceeded and I was supplied the wrong bushings twice by two different local suppliers despite having the same part number I was after.  I eventually found the right one at autohausaz but under a w115 parts listing I think.  I'm sure you guys will have no problem finding the right ones from your sources but FYI, autohaus number was 0009920510 Link Anyhow, once replaced the shifting is much firmer/positive without slop.  A big improvement.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

Big_Richard

TJ drives like an 80 year old nanna who can barely see over the steering wheel, me thinks your DREAMING if you'll think hes the type to turn it into a race car  8)

not long ago he had an anxiety attack after a 30 minute drive with me behind the wheel of his 190 and that wasnt even spirited driving.  :o

TJ 450

I purchased the car from Nathan (he was going to wreck it). Then Nathan arranged to get the plates back, and I successfully transferred the rego to my name.

I think MT's right, I wouldn't be interested in a track car. This would be another actual restoration (paint job and rust repairs), and the body would be saved where possible.

The York compressor is going, along with the rest of the AC retrofit... I want this to be back to basics... That's what really appeals to me about this car. 8)

I'm also planning on a colour change to 903 blau depending on the outcome.

BTW; When I pulled the console out, I found that the spring had popped out of the shifter housing, and the bushes underneath are indeed shot. Thanks for the pics, Oscar. :)

With interior removals, I just rip straight into it. I have a photographic memory when it comes to these things.

Tim

Edit; What on Earth is with the speedometer? I didn't realise the 280 ever had 160mph/260km/h speedo...

1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

Quote from: TJ 450 on 31 October 2011, 06:05 AM

The York compressor is going, along with the rest of the AC retrofit... I want this to be back to basics... That's what really appeals to me about this car. 8)

That's exactly what i would do too.  8)

No extra crap, stock as a rock.

are you going to remove the airbox and remove the coil totally ?

refoaming the heater flaps may be a good idea before reassembly

TJ 450

That's the plan, MT. I need to be able to see all the rust in the firewall, so I'll probably also leave the heater core hanging like I saw in Joe's 6.9 restoration post.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

oscar

Well, if you're going all out resto on this thing I'm cheering you all the way.  BTW, I only just noticed the pic of the fan only centre console switch :o  weird or what.  How was the a/c supposed to work?   

Over the weekend we started clearing shed space for the sectioning of Povo. Wish you guys were closer cos you'd be able to take your pick of some rust free (or maybe relatively rust free) sections before the rest goes to the recycler.  Seeing your rear window reminds me I'll have a rear window with the fine wire demister available for nicks.  I've chucked two out previously because I damaged the copper strip going around the outside but I can be extra careful by request.

Quote from: TJ 450 on 31 October 2011, 06:05 AM
With interior removals, I just rip straight into it. I have a photographic memory when it comes to these things.

I usually think I have a photographic memory too, then when it comes time recall and refit I get error messages....apparently I try to save too much or "remove the card" before saving's finished and I'm left with extra screws, bolts and clips behind ;D
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Big_Richard

everyones got a manual except me  ::)

and Oscar has so many, hes throwing one away  :P

s class

MT, why exaclty do you think the manual is so great?  I've driven a few manual 280S' and they are OK, but for daily use in traffic I'd always pick auto.  BTW at some point I must introduce you all to my 280S manual.  Its in storage at the moment and I actually don't have any pics. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

You tell me and we'll both know.

All I've ever owned and driven is auto cars, I drive around all over the place all day everyday for work in an auto car too.

driving has become ho-hum, even with the 6.9.

driving with a manual w116 however was exciting again, something I've not experienced since i was about 17 ;)

and yes, I have driven other manual cars since then but they failed to excite me what so ever.

s class

My W202 is also manual, but being that it is only the 1.8 litre, there isn't enought power to really make it interesting.  If I want kicks from a manual transmission car, I drive this :

Only 1.6 litre, but very light body.  Its geared low, and is crazy willing to rev.  Bags of torque steer and front wheels scrabbling for grip.  Mine has the twin-choke Weber, plus custom 4-2-1 manifold and 2.5" exhaust (fitted after the first photo below - refer to second photo  8) )

1980sdga

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 31 October 2011, 08:20 AM

driving with a manual w116 however was exciting again, something I've not experienced since i was about 17 ;)

Just think about how good it will feel when you get it sorted and back on the road  8)

So this is going to be an all manual no AC stripper?  I'm digging the concept.  For years I wouldn't drive anything without a stick. I made an exception with the 116's because they are such cool cars.

Marcus-F1

Most of the cars here are manual ones, for some strange reason the Dutch think that automatic cars are for old people. Glad that my 350SE is an automatic, a large car should have an automatic gearbox. If I would want a manual, I'd bought an Opel Astra and I don't even want to be found dead in a car like that ;)
Die S-klasse von Mercedes-Benz.
Auch 1973 was es nicht möglich, ein noch besseres Automobil zu Bauen.

samuli

That is also my feeling of France. All W116s I have tested there were 4-speed manuals. My 280SE is a manual too. The only disadvantage I see are the low gear ratios. I am always looking for a 5th gear on the road. The revs are quite high aldready at 80km/h. I think the French spec W116 has a special rear gear ratio, probably a lower. At least it is listed in the options list.

"218    REAR AXLE RATIO FOR FRANCE "

Am I wrong if I remember that there has been a 5-speed manual as an option???