News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Engine pictures

Started by HerrBenz, 23 October 2005, 03:43 PM

HerrBenz

Hello, New to the site, I have a 1978 450SEL. 1 owner, very tight and very little rust!  YEAH!  I'm looking for color engine pictures, say from factory literature.  I'm cleaning and detailing my engine bay and want to make sure I get it right.  I have the '78 & '80 brochures but they don't have any pic's of the 4.5L engine bay..
Thanks in advanced,
David

Mforcer

Hello David and welcome to the forum.

I will go through all the literature I have but not sure if I have an official photo of the engine bay on colour either. What specifically are you looking for?

Michael
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

HerrBenz

Just a color photo of the engine bay for 4.5L W116

Mforcer

I see you have detailed your engine bay and it looks great! Did you do it yourself? What did you do? What did you use?
Michael
2006 B200

HerrBenz

WoW, what didn't I do!  Striped all the items off the fender wells and re-sprayed them.  Sandblasted what little rust there was uncer the fusebox and shock tower, por15 then painted.  The hoses all got cleaned and touched up.  Getting the fuse box out was real fun.  I sandblated most of the nuts & bolts just to clean them up for re-use.  It still needs a little more twicking, but a lot better than before.

Mforcer

Sounds like a lot of hard work but it has all paid off. Like I wrote, it looks great now.

Did you find any areas needing more attention than others? Anything that we should be keeping an eye on?
Michael
2006 B200

Peter Anderson

Herr Benz, that's looking looking good.

My airbox is in the same state as yours was. How did you clean it up? What sort of paint did you use?

Good work.

HerrBenz

The area under the fuse box was rusted out but not badly!  It was only a small amount and was easily fixed with a patch of metal welded in place.  It was a month long ordeal but I think it turned out pretty good.  Like I said before, it needs a little fineseing to up to par with what I really wanted.  The breather box was fun, sandblasted it, zink primered it, then painted it chassis black,  The clear coat fogged up on me, that day was pretty humid.  Good thing it was only the lid.  I'll respray it when the weather gets better.  Thanks for the compliments guys!

Tomi

How did you weld under the fuse box ? I had this same problem, it is a tight place with lots of vulnerable wiring and I just ended up using a sealant to cover the hole under the fuse box.
I think this is really a critical place in W116 and also the hood release cable opening is situated quite low. I ended up drilling a hole down to the wheel well so that water could escape that way. cheers