News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Engine compartment clean-up - 78 450SEL

Started by jbrasile, 29 September 2012, 12:01 AM

jbrasile

It has been two years since the body restoration of the 78 450SEL,  at that time the engine compartment was cleaned and detailed but nothing very deep.

Since I suspect there was a vacuum leak in the intake manifold (still chasing the elusive shaky idle...) I decided to go ahead and take everything apart for a thorough cleaning, plating, etc... All vacuum related rubber parts are being replaced as well as a few cooling hoses  that are difficult to access, namely the ones under the WUR .

Here are some pictures of what has been done so far. Everything is being placed in ziploc bags to keep the hardware organized, let's hope the platters can keep it that way.

Tks,

Joe

s class

I'm looking forward to seeing the results you get. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

jbrasile

Tks s class,

Since this is not a show car, I will try to exercise some restrain and make it nice without going crazy....

Joe

Big_Richard

oversize

Quote from: jbrasile on 29 September 2012, 12:24 AM
Tks s class,

Since this is not a show car, I will try to exercise some restrain and make it nice without going crazy....

Joe

Nah go nuts!!!  You only live once!  LOL!
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

jbrasile

MT,

Oh yeah... but before the toothbrush I need to remove 34 years of gunk with  a scrapper...

Oversize, hehehe.... if you go too far you end up with  monumental project, one thing leads to another and 6 months go by....

The goal is to end up with a very clean and sparkling engine bay that doesn't look like it was restored. I like the yellowish plastic reservoirs, brake booster vacuum tube and windshield washer hoses, they show some of the car's originality.

Tks,

Joe

jbrasile

Want to feel bad about your engine compartment....

Take a look at this....

From a factory catalog circa 78-79, fully loaded car with block heater, a/c etc...

If I can get to 30% of that I'll be very happy

Tks,

Joe

Big_Richard

jbrasile

Big_Richard

Tony66_au

Im not even looking at the bay on my K jet............

the D jet bay isnt too bad now but the engine is still very grotty

TJ 450

Joe, you've got the right idea with the engine bay detailing. I too like the the old plastic parts, they add character.

Looking at the brochure images, seeing that when opening the bonnet alone, in the showroom, would make me certain I'd have to buy a 116.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

jbrasile

Update:

Hardware dropped off at the platters. Fan, water pump upper neck and alternator bracket support are being bead blasted.

Had a go at the V this evening, take a look at what came out...

After a few hours of scrapping and scrubbing with gasoline, a brush and a lot of patience, I think it looks a lot better. Now, should I go ahead and paint the V? Or leave it original? It is so hard to do these projects without going overboard, I was able to clean the front of the engine pretty well but of course it does not look "pristine" so if we start painting, etc... things my get out of  hand.

Throttle body and main idle block also cleaned.

Tks,

Joe

thysonsacclaim

You know what's funny about the Vee?

When I first tore apart my car, I found a bunch of palm nuts in there (about the size / shape of acorns) that were half chewed up. I cleaned this all up.

Then, I put the car back together to about 75% before have to disassemble because of issues.

Funny part? I found more acorns and palm nuts in there! Apparently, it was the same rat that was eating my bean sprouts  :o

gf

Had a rat in my engine bay last year too! yes it was kind of cute till i remembered that story of a german tank division decimated by rats eating out wiring looms in russia. btw joe cant wait to see the end product!so true about what you said with risking going overboard. With the engine keeping it A1 looking over the years would be frustrating to say the least!