Author Topic: Driver's seatbelt doesn't "click" in now, won't stay.  (Read 684 times)

girlwithoutaplanet

• Enthusiast
  • 1979 300SD
Driver's seatbelt doesn't "click" in now, won't stay.
« on: 07 January 2018, 10:55 AM »
Got my car back from a few days at the shop. She got new tie rods, upper control arms, lower ball joints, steering damper, blahblahblah.. and she drives sooo smoothly now! I'm quite pleased. Except, as always, it's like you get a bunch of stuff done and then one little thing breaks.

Now my seatbelt won't "click" in. I noticed it first, it latched but it didn't "click" and the light and buzz didn't come off immediately (they turned off in time like they are supposed to do). Now the belt won't click in and stay at all!

Is there something I can do to deal with this, aside from replacing the female end? Maybe lube it up or something? (oh that sounds weird...)

I live in Oregon, USA where police can pull you over for noticing you are not wearing a seat belt! I feel too naked without it on!
1979 Gold 300SD - Gogo, The Lady of Metal

UTn_boy

• W116 Addict
Re: Driver's seatbelt doesn't "click" in now, won't stay.
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2018, 12:39 PM »
When this happens it usually means that the buckle is worn out/broken, and no amount of lubrication or praying will help it.  Being such a big safety device I'd just buy a new or used one.   However, you have a 300SD, and there were two different ones used on the 300SD, so make certain that you take not of the VIN if you buy one off of a used car.  Footnotes and part numbers below:

Up to chassis number 014084, part number 123-860-15-69 was used.  It is no longer available from Mercedes.  A good used one will have to be sourced. 

From chassis number 014085 until production stop, part number 116-860-09-69 was used.  It is still available new from Mercedes for around $95.00.  Being so inexpensive, if you have this later one I'd just buy a new one.  You won't have to worry about it for another 30-40 years.  :) 
1966 250se coupe`, black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3, papyrus white/dark red leather
1973 300sel 4.5, silver blue metallic/blue leather
1976 280s astral silver/blue MB Tex
1978 450sel 6.9 Euro, Anthr/velour

Squiggle Dog

• W116 Addict
  • MBCA Member
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2018, 08:52 PM »
Sometimes mine will do this, but it's only temporary. I thought that it just meant that it was worn-out, but I read something on this issue once, and I think it has more to do with a foreign object jamming inside keeping the latch from fully returning. I think that usually if you can fish out whatever is in there, it will be fine.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! https://challenge22.com/

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 347,000+

girlwithoutaplanet

• Enthusiast
  • 1979 300SD
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2018, 07:46 PM »
Squiggle Dog called it - thanks, man!

I had peeked into it previously, but there wasn't much light. So I took a flashlight out...sure enough, there's a cough drop wrapper shoved in there. Mother effer. And I made it worse by continuously trying to shove the buckle in!  :D :o

So now I'm trying to come up with something long and narrow enough to fit down there and slowly pry it up without ripping it...

This is my karma for not dealing with my trash!

For now, I at least figured out that I can stretch the belt over and put it in the passenger side. Good thing I mostly drive alone :)
1979 Gold 300SD - Gogo, The Lady of Metal

avantbenz

• Enthusiast
  • W116 Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2018, 04:33 PM »
Decided to hi-jack this thread insted of starting my own with the same issue -

My passenger seat belt no longer clips in and I looked inside to see if anything was there and noticed the inner clip is broken.

If I purcase the correct part can someone point me to the correct way to install it? I can't seem to find anything out there.

Thanks for the help.

~newbie
Daily Driving 'Patience' ~ 1980 300SD

TJ 450

• W116 Addict
    • Tim's Insulators Downunder
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2018, 09:30 PM »
This depends on the year of the car, but if it’s a later one, the best thing to do is take the whole seat out (remove the seat belt rail from trans tunnel first, with the seat as far forward as possible).

The receptacle is bolted to the seat frame on a pivoting bracket.

There might be some info in the service manual on this site as well (library section).

Tim

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

avantbenz

• Enthusiast
  • W116 Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2018, 03:23 PM »
Decided to hi-jack this thread insted of starting my own with the same issue -

My passenger seat belt no longer clips in and I looked inside to see if anything was there and noticed the inner clip is broken.

If I purcase the correct part can someone point me to the correct way to install it? I can't seem to find anything out there.

Thanks for the help.

~newbie

Update: Using SquiggleDog's advice I was able to use compressed air to get some foreign object out and the seatbelt clip works again. Awesome!
Daily Driving 'Patience' ~ 1980 300SD