News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Double Din Radio

Started by Mattr, 14 August 2019, 01:02 AM

Mattr

Hey Folks,

So, the interior of 2333 needs to be redone. I'm planning to start with the things which impact driving comfort. First will probably be radio, second will be windows, then AC/heat, and who knows from there. That brings me to a question: With the ashtray removed, it looks almost like I could get away with trying to fit a double-din or din-and-half stereo there. Forgive me, but I'll take a out-of-place-but-highly-useful radio over an unused ashtray and a crusty Becker.

Has anyone done this swap?
1976 450SE 6.9 FrankenBenz (#2288?)
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

Diesel 617

Hey, before you toss that crusty Becker away, you could have it rebuilt to modern standards. Bluetooth capable, aux cord for music and pre amps for high powered speakers. On top of that you maintain the factory look, because quite frankly almost every modern radio looks like an abomination in these vehicles. I had the work done, and will receive it near the end of the month. It was less than 300$

Otherwise you will have to cut up the ashtray frame,
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

Mattr

Quote from: Diesel 617 on 14 August 2019, 01:17 PM
Hey, before you toss that crusty Becker away, you could have it rebuilt to modern standards. Bluetooth capable, aux cord for music and pre amps for high powered speakers. On top of that you maintain the factory look, because quite frankly almost every modern radio looks like an abomination in these vehicles. I had the work done, and will receive it near the end of the month. It was less than 300$

Otherwise you will have to cut up the ashtray frame,
The car came without a radio... and where did you find someone who will rebuild them to all that for less than $300? I couldn't even find a Becker Mexico that wasn't clapped out for less than $500, and the only place I found selling updated ones wanted $2k+ for them.

I'm fine with that. I have no use for an ashtray, and I'd rather have a nice stereo unit than an ashtray. I dislike the look of almost all of the "retro-inspired" radios anyway, and am going to just accept that it looks out of place.
1976 450SE 6.9 FrankenBenz (#2288?)
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

floyd111

The retro-ones are very good, but I find them ugly as well.

I would give it a second try. With a bit of patience you'll find a Becker for under 300 inc shipping. But, ya gotta go to ebay.de for more choice and select "shipping to germany". You can always discuss terms with the seller after he's sure to get paid.  Ebay.com has the highest prices, not a great place for W116 parts, and also not for a whole range of items.

Also, check out that "rebuilt" idea. Rebuilding/updating the beckers would be the best way, I'd think.
Don't forget.. if you drive that w116 for a while, you'll end up putting money in. The more you invest, the more you're investing in resale-value.
When that day comes, an original dash is a plus.

If you want more options, you can install a second headset, hide it somewhere, and use the remote to control it

Diesel 617

Just by chance I was over at peachparts and saw someone selling this radio for  250$
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/mercedes-benz-used-parts-sale-wanted/377953-fs-becker-europa-model-466-a.html

The gentleman I have rebuild my electronics is: https://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/tech-help/318312-cruise-control-amplifier-diagnostics-amplifier-repair.html

He has rebuilt my dash clock (woot!), radio, cruse control amplifier (works flawlessly and holds the speed!) and has inspected numerous relays I have sent him and has even been able to rebuild some of them. I highly recommend him, very pleasant to deal with as well.
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

UTn_boy

I don't understand this fascination with pricing Becker radios so high.  They made millions of radios, and the Mexico Stereo is one of, if not the most, mass produced models of Becker radios ever made.  Thousands and thousands of them are still in existence, and supply far outweighs demand.  Then again, $300 to have one rebuilt and made bluetooth ready is a really good price. 

If your Becker is crusty then it's in need of repair.   Though, if you want to stay period correct but have good sound then buy a period correct Blaupunkt or Grundig.  They offer superior sound quality over Becker, and always did.  (up to a certain point)  And be sure to use paper coned speakers with the correct impedance match for maximum sound quality.  The best sound systems in the world use paper coned speakers!  :) 

Stan, in your last comment you stated  "The more you invest, the more you're investing in resale-value."  That's true, but only up to a point, and that comes rather soon on a W116.  We may spend $50,000-$80,000 to properly restore a W116 (if not more), but when it comes time to sell we'll only get a third or below of what we have invested in it.  So putting more into our cars than they'll ever be worth is something that has to be accepted.  We have one life.  Enjoy it.  :)
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

revilla

Quote from: UTn_boy on 16 August 2019, 08:49 PM
I don't understand this fascination with pricing Becker radios so high.  They made millions of radios, and the Mexico Stereo is one of, if not the most, mass produced models of Becker radios ever made.  Thousands and thousands of them are still in existence, and supply far outweighs demand.  Then again, $300 to have one rebuilt and made bluetooth ready is a really good price. 

If your Becker is crusty then it's in need of repair.   Though, if you want to stay period correct but have good sound then buy a period correct Blaupunkt or Grundig.  They offer superior sound quality over Becker, and always did.  (up to a certain point)  And be sure to use paper coned speakers with the correct impedance match for maximum sound quality.  The best sound systems in the world use paper coned speakers!  :) 

Stan, in your last comment you stated  "The more you invest, the more you're investing in resale-value."  That's true, but only up to a point, and that comes rather soon on a W116.  We may spend $50,000-$80,000 to properly restore a W116 (if not more), but when it comes time to sell we'll only get a third or below of what we have invested in it.  So putting more into our cars than they'll ever be worth is something that has to be accepted.  We have one life.  Enjoy it.  :)

Ditto here. The W116s are these days to restore/repair/drive and enjoy... if one insists to make these cars a "business case"  today sorry wrong brand/period/model. It will always be a red ROI never reaching a selling price to recover the usual 5-digits investment! If, on the other hand, one drives and enjoys any W116 this is immo the car to have (not the car to invest).

Who knows, the market is capricious though, maybe our grandchildren will see a Return, but I doubt they will be able to drive them in 50 more years with all the restrictions being developed now globally.
In conclusion, Joy and Passion should be the currencies to build your business case. If so, it'll be a VERY positive ROI.

Regarding the stereo subject.

If you insist to install a modern unit with all the functionalities, would you consider this folding screen option? It would save the ashtray and getting too invasive/destructive as it would fit in the current space you have your stereo now. When the screen is folded down is discreet at least, despite not being period correct.

Cheers everyone

https://youtu.be/4YTxz2oqb-Q

oversize

I'd be going with a double DIN Kenwood with CD/USB/DAB and CarPlay.  Far more user friendly than any Becker, modified or not.
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

oversize

If you own a car and are regularly worrying about resale I'd consider selling immediately.  No-one needs the stress or limitations.
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

floyd111

My point was.. these cars easily eat up a bucket of money over time, and retrieving that cash is hard enough to not want a potential buyer complain about missing radios and such. ;)

floyd111

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

ptashek

1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Squiggle Dog

I installed a Blaupunkt Bahamas. It works and looks fine. But, I will admit that the look of the original Beckers is hard to beat. At some point I will probably revert to an original Becker Europa or Mexico Cassette.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

floyd111

Indeed, it's about looks and originality for me as well. I would never be satisfied with the sound of such an antiquated headset. I am sure there's room for a high end set, hidden in the dash, with only a reachable USB plug somewhere and a remote in the mid console.