News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Double Din Radio

Started by Mattr, 14 August 2019, 01:02 AM

UTn_boy

Lucas and Scott bring up valid points that further strengthen my aforementioned commentary.  Between 1965 and 1989 Becker radios sounded horrible.....but they are nice to look at.  Hence, their "paper wight" status. haha   If you want modern conveniences with good sound use a modern Blaupunkt.  If you want good sound and still have the period correct look then seek out a period correct Blaupunkt or Grundig.  Even with the Blaupunkt and Grundig radios from the 60's and 70's you can still adapt wireless bluetooth to them.  It's a win/win all around. :)
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

OLDGOLD

I may have a solution that will give you modern sound with the stock head unit in place. On my 300SD I installed a Kappa K5 Bluetooth Amp. The amp is in the trunk with the sub (Boston Acoustics) and I had 4 Pioneer mids with built in tweeters on all 4 corners. There is a wired controller if you wanted to have handsfree calling, but I opted to keep it in the trunk. If I didn't have to remove the glovebox so often to fix things I would've installed it there. When I had the system installed, the installer wired the power source into the Becker headunit so when I want to turn it off without shutting off the car, I can turn the volume knob all the way to the left to click it off. Pretty nifty eh!

When I get in my car my iPhone pairs and I have great modern sound wirelessly whilst retaining the stock look. Plus, you don't have to worry about some POS breaking into your car to steal your radio. I'm assuming that still happens.

People can't believe their ears when they get in my car and I pull out my phone and start pumping drum & bass!