News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Doors

Started by marku, 17 October 2018, 12:16 PM

marku

What makes the sound of a door closing as I am just about to install the 116s doors after repair and repainting. I know its a bit simplistic but I mean that really nice sound of a quality door, as the 116, closing just like the old railway doors. Its not just the size and weight as I have a modern Mercedes that the passenger door closes with that sound but the driver door closes like a really cheap car. Thought it was the rubber stops but it makes no difference. The doors are the same and have the same insulation but they sound different. Its all ways been like that and as I have stripped out the 116s doors I wondered what sound they are going to make when refitted.

1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

daantjie

I am no expert, but I think a lot of it is in the latch mechanism.  If you look at one in your hand, you will see it is one seriously beefy and typically over engineered piece of equipment like only ze Germans could have done ;D  Apparently many a pranged 116 had the doors still opening perfectly after the accident, and surely this must be attributed to the superior design of the latch mechanism.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

marku

I agree with you regarding the 116 but it doesn't apply to our other Mercedes. Both doors have the same fittings and yet sound so different.

ptashek

Quote from: daantjie on 17 October 2018, 01:09 PM
Apparently many a pranged 116 had the doors still opening perfectly after the accident, and surely this must be attributed to the superior design of the latch mechanism.

Actually, the door latches were specifically designed to do just that - open perfectly even in a major frontal collision.
https://youtu.be/Cxhe08IZwhI?t=100
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Jed

Look closely at the latch mechanism. There is a nylon/plastic like material on the latch that buffers the sound when the door closes. If it's worn out it still opens and closes fine but with a clunky/metallic noise.

Mind you this is pure speculation on my part

1979 Mercedes 6.9 #5206 - restored
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #6424 - ongoing restoration
1976 Mercedes 6.9 #484 - restoration?

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: Jed on 20 October 2018, 01:05 PM
Look closely at the latch mechanism. There is a nylon/plastic like material on the latch that buffers the sound when the door closes. If it's worn out it still opens and closes fine but with a clunky/metallic noise.

Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

marku

Quote from: Jed on 20 October 2018, 01:05 PM

gf

You mean that bank vault "clunk" no following vibration or rattle. I think it's both the substantial locks and no flexing of the door skins. The seals of the windows are also pretty tight fitting. Old mercs and old  volvos have that sound to the doors which sounds and feels substantial. New ones have lost some of that. But still Contrast that to closing a door on a ford falcon. You can literally see the door and window rattle for half a second after closing. I call it a death rattle -YUCK!!!!
It's the entrance to a car which is the first statement of quality in my opinion.