News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Door Switch

Started by 69-300, 10 May 2016, 09:08 AM

69-300

Quick question I couldn't find an answer to - why are there two switches on the driver door ? One is interior light and the other ?

Thanks

revilla

the other sw allows you to operate the electric window lifter while the door is open even if ignition is at 0 position

w116john

i always wondered why i could close the window with the engine off and door open

everyday is a school day

daantjie

I have both switches on my 6.9 but that function does not work. Is it a Euro thing?
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Harv

There are two switches on the drivers door?
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

daantjie

Yes 2 separate ones vertically arranged. Seems like the bottom one controls the light.  Top one supposedly enables the driver window to be operated. I think the way it should work is the window rolls up by itself if you leave the car and forget to roll up the window. Mine does not work. Switch tested good. Maybe a relay out of commission?
Daniel

revilla

Hi Dan,

No, the purpose of the sw is not that.  Window won't roll up automatically; too dangerous! The modern safety features to avoid somebody accidentally pinching his/her fingers, hand, head did not exist back then as in cars of today.  Well some already exists (eg torque or temp limiters to reverse motor actuation) but not used yet in this application.

As stated in my previous message:

Quote from: revilla on 10 May 2016, 11:04 AM
the other sw allows you to operate the electric window lifter while the door is open even if ignition is at 0 position

Thus, no automation implied. so you still have to operate the window lifter sw, but conveniently you don't have to put back and turn the ignition key.  Clever MB engineering thinking in fact (practical, very low cost and sophisticated without complexity).

Hope it's clearer.

daantjie

Thanks yes great explanation!
Still not sure why mine won't work though.
I've read elsewhere that the second switch triggers the alarm to let you know keys have been left in the ignition?
Maybe certain countries got different features for the "2nd switch"?
Daniel

Harv

These switches must not of been offered on the SD. My doors are totally free of any switches.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

daantjie

The switches are on the A - Pillar on the inside, where the door closes.  I am sure you must have at least one to trigger the interior light?
Daniel

Harv

Quote from: daantjie on 15 May 2016, 11:40 AM
The switches are on the A - Pillar on the inside, where the door closes.  I am sure you must have at least one to trigger the interior light?

Only thing inside the A pillar is a push button. It controls the door buzzer and the light. There is a covering beside it. Probably to fill the blank.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

Zaxxon

That is how mine is too - only one pin switch, the location below is capped off with a square cover, but would fit another pin switch just like the one for the interior light.
---
Mercedes: '99 CL500, '86 500SEC, '96 SL500, '06 R500, '02 ML320, '78 450SEL
Porsche: '80 928S 5-Speed, '86.5 928S RogerBox '86.5 928S 5-Speed, '83 944
Others: '84 Callaway Alfa Romeo GTV6, '83 Tiara, '87 FZ

daantjie

Ok at least for my setup the mystery is solved. Top switch only triggers the buzzer for key left in ignition. Window does not work with ignition off.
Bottom one controls dome light with delay off function.
I know there were many evolutions of the seat belt warning system. Perhaps the variation in this function is related to that?
Daniel

w116john

Daniel did you try it with the door open? it only works when open on mine anyway.

i don't have the warning buzzer for the lights left on,  was that standard?  and i am just missing the relay i don't have one behind the cluster.

john

daantjie

Yup no dice with door open. I have to have key in "ON" position for switch to operate the window, door open or not.  Warning buzzer is not for lights left on but rather for key left in the ignition  when you leave the vehicle and car off.
Daniel