News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Door Seals / Sunroof Seal / Rubber Seals WORN / Leaking

Started by carzilike, 21 June 2021, 12:41 PM

carzilike

Hello all, the rubber seals on my 1978 280SE is pretty worn and water leaks in from the sunroof if at high pressure and also from the passenger door during high pressure car wash. Rain doesn't affect it.
I do hear a lot more road noise than I think I should. I am assuming the seals are glued into place and need to be cut and replaced but I doubt there is a simple DIY way to do that and make it look original like the factory.

SO i found these stick on rubber seals for cars and they are cheap and people have rated them highly. Should I go ahead and use these? They paste onto the body of the car and would create a tight seal ( I think ).
Do you think I can get away with using these or not? I already have the new sunroof seal (OEM) and not sure how to install it though.

Max-NL

There is 1 place where the seals are glued on all the doors, iirc it's somewhere around the check strap or a bit lower. For the rest it's inserted in a channel, and at the front doors there is a chrome strip just above/around the check strap which clips the seal to the door, be carefull with removing it.

Quite easy an DIY actually, you just need some good glue. I replaced the seals on my W123 which helped quite a lot.
1971 R107 350 SL
1972 W108 280 SEL 3.5
1975 W116 280 S
1975 W116 450 SEL 6.9 #140
1977 W123 230
1992 W124 230 CE
2001 Ducati Monster S4

rumb

New seals are not all that hard to install. You can get from MB, millers mercedes sells good one for a bit less than mb, and i think URO makes them.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

carzilike

Any DIY video's or guides you guys can share? Thank you

TNNBENZ

I have some from URO that look amazing in the package, very robust !!!
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

raueda1

Quote from: carzilike on 22 June 2021, 11:58 AM
Any DIY video's or guides you guys can share? Thank you
I recently did this job.  Much much easier than I supposed.  I didn't glue at all and seems to b e fine.  There are small push-clips that you will discover one the front of the doors.  Get replacements on ebay, very cheap.  I spayed ArmorAll all over the seals a few times before installation.  The slip into channel much more easily this way and are slightly lubricated and so seal a bit better.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

TNNBENZ

Quote from: carzilike on 21 June 2021, 12:41 PM
Hello all, the rubber seals on my 1978 280SE is pretty worn and water leaks in from the sunroof if at high pressure and also from the passenger door during high pressure car wash. Rain doesn't affect it.
I do hear a lot more road noise than I think I should. I am assuming the seals are glued into place and need to be cut and replaced but I doubt there is a simple DIY way to do that and make it look original like the factory.

SO i found these stick on rubber seals for cars and they are cheap and people have rated them highly. Should I go ahead and use these? They paste onto the body of the car and would create a tight seal ( I think ).
Do you think I can get away with using these or not? I already have the new sunroof seal (OEM) and not sure how to install it though.
Just to b clear, the seals I referred to are windscreen seals. I got back & I think front from URO and they appear to b amazing quality. Have not installed yet though. Hope to install very soon!!!!!!!
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof