News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Door seals

Started by marku, 10 January 2021, 12:54 PM

marku

Been refitting the door seals after the respray. I was not aware what complicated things they are both in section and extension. Who designs them as manufacturing must present considerable problems. Quite the unsung heroes I would have thought.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

mrkozzy

I'm hearing you loud and clear on this one.

I had a full new set for all 4 doors sitting in my garage storage for over 2 years waiting for the day.

I really didn't want to tackle the installation because I realized I'm a novice at that sort of thing.  ??? (and my weekends can be better spent)

Unfortunately, I had reason to get some panel repairs and painting done recently myself. (Some dirt bag hit me!).   :'( :'(

Fortunately I was able to persuade the guys at the panel shop to help.  ;)

As they were finishing off the work, I walked in with some "folding stuff" and a case of beer.   ;D

Voila.  Jobs done.   ;D
MrKozzy

Fergus

Sounds like you got them on - well done.

Any tips for those of us in the 5C class of the 116 school?

marku

A tedious job and time consuming. Easiest with the doors off. Only tool necessary is the usual plastic wedge. Line up the seal and start at a shaped corner. Work round pressing the outer edge into the retainer and then down at the back which forces it under the retainer lip. The only caution is that it is very easy to stretch the seal and end up with too much to fit. Keep checking all round fit.
Reading an old Porsche manual on the subject it recommended regular treatment of seals with petroleum jelly to keep them supple. Rub of excess with soft cloth. Makes them look new.

daantjie

For me at least this job was a piece of cake.  The only thing is you need to take your time, and as always the secret is in the prep, as in surgically clean the channels.  Then once clean, really check for rust, especially along the bottom of the door.  Now is the time to do rust repair with some Miracle Paint or POR15 or whatever rust inhibitor you can get.

I used a light smear of silicone dialectric grease to ease the rubber into the channel.  I would not use any type of vaseline product as it will eat the rubber over time.

This job is a walk in the park compared to the front and rear glass gasket replacement, only real masochists need apply ;D
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Fergus

marku

I used a light smear of silicone dialectric grease to ease the rubber into the channel.  I would not use any type of vaseline product as it will eat the rubber over time.

You think that Vaseline would do that? Recommended by Porsche as well. Thought it very mild and a good lubricant. The rubber does seem to dry out over time and needs something.

raueda1

Quote from: marku on 14 January 2021, 02:05 PM

You think that Vaseline would do that? Recommended by Porsche as well. Thought it very mild and a good lubricant. The rubber does seem to dry out over time and needs something.
Completely agree with Daantjie on the vasoline regardless of Porsche's recommendation.  It's basically a refined hydrocarbon grease that will eventually be and absorbed by and then degrade the rubber.  Ok short term, bad long term.  Silicone grease or fluid is a far better choice.  I've used Armorall to good effect.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

Rolo

Make sure you use a good cement.  I replaced my trunk seal 25 years ago and the Permatex is flaking off and the seal is leaking.

adamb

I used no cement when replacing mine 10 years ago. It sits fine and doesn't let in water.

ADV_rider

Where do you get the door rubber?

Is pretoleum jelly = silicone?
W108 1972 280SE 4.5
W116 1977 450SEL 4.5

daantjie

You can still get the seals from the MB Classic Centre in Irvine, CA as far as I know.  They might be NLA (No longer available), but if you can still get them they will not be cheap :'(  You can also use aftermarket though I cannot speak to quality.  Sometimes the URO stuff is not bad on weatherstripping and such, for example I used an URO seal on the trunk and it works great.  I would not use URO parts for any safety critical parts such as suspension/steering and so on, their quality can be downright dangerous, many horror stories online.

For petroleum jelly think "Vaseline" brand.  Any petroleum based grease/lube will eat rubber over time.  Silicone based grease does not contain petroleum distillates and thus is safe on rubber.  I use Dialectric Grease, from Permatex, fantastic stuff, you can use it on many items with no damage.  Some folks use "Sil-glyde" or "Super Lube" brand as well.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

rumb

I have these
https://shop.millermbz.com/parts-catalogs/rubber-kits/2306/116-chassis-rubber-kit?c=334

I bought w108 seals from them 25 years ago and they are stilll in very good condition. I dont know if they changed supplies since then.  I bought a set for my 6.9 and they look good but I have not installed them yet.

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

ADV_rider

Quote from: rumb on 19 March 2021, 04:09 PM
I have these
https://shop.millermbz.com/parts-catalogs/rubber-kits/2306/116-chassis-rubber-kit?c=334

I bought w108 seals from them 25 years ago and they are stilll in very good condition. I dont know if they changed supplies since then.  I bought a set for my 6.9 and they look good but I have not installed them yet.

Quote from: daantjie on 19 March 2021, 01:31 PM
You can still get the seals from the MB Classic Centre in Irvine, CA as far as I know.  They might be NLA (No longer available), but if you can still get them they will not be cheap :'(  You can also use aftermarket though I cannot speak to quality.  Sometimes the URO stuff is not bad on weatherstripping and such, for example I used an URO seal on the trunk and it works great.  I would not use URO parts for any safety critical parts such as suspension/steering and so on, their quality can be downright dangerous, many horror stories online.

For petroleum jelly think "Vaseline" brand.  Any petroleum based grease/lube will eat rubber over time.  Silicone based grease does not contain petroleum distillates and thus is safe on rubber.  I use Dialectric Grease, from Permatex, fantastic stuff, you can use it on many items with no damage.  Some folks use "Sil-glyde" or "Super Lube" brand as well.

thank you
W108 1972 280SE 4.5
W116 1977 450SEL 4.5