News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

door card removal, and separation

Started by Howard60, 07 May 2020, 06:22 AM

Howard60

Hi
Has anyone removed the backing board from the door card (front Passenger)?
I have removed the card to access and repair vacuum bellows, and thought id clean up the panel.
I am getting perished black particles falling out from inside, so I need to get in there and remove and perhaps replace the foam
but they seem pretty well stapled in? is there a trick to removal, or is this a sealed unit which is unrepairable?

Thanks for any help

Howard

AN UPDATE;
I have prised the staples off and they seem easy enough to reapply. So part one is done.
I then managed to empty out the degraded foam rubber without removing the MB Tex from the backing board.
I have now ordered some wading to replace the foam, and will try to insert it through a small opening and
unfurl it!
If this works I'll post pictures with some notes, if anyone is interested?
Previously: 280ce W123, 450slc C107, 350se W116, 230e W123, 250ce W114

rumb

From memory the entire card portion is held in by some metal tabs around the backside perimeter.  It should separate entirely from the plastic front.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Inshan

Quote from: Howard60 on 07 May 2020, 06:22 AM
Hi
Has anyone removed the backing board from the door card (front Passenger)?
I have removed the card to access and repair vacuum bellows, and thought id clean up the panel.
I am getting perished black particles falling out from inside, so I need to get in there and remove and perhaps replace the foam
but they seem pretty well stapled in? is there a trick to removal, or is this a sealed unit which is unrepairable?

Thanks for any help

Howard

AN UPDATE;
I have prised the staples off and they seem easy enough to reapply. So part one is done.
I then managed to empty out the degraded foam rubber without removing the MB Tex from the backing board.
I have now ordered some wading to replace the foam, and will try to insert it through a small opening and
unfurl it!
If this works I'll post pictures with some notes, if anyone is interested?

Yes, please post pictures!
1980 300SD

Rolo

Fergus

Hello Howard

It would be good to see the pictures

Fergus

Jed

Hi Howard,

I just did this last week. I found it very easy to carefully remove the vinyl from the cardboard with a trim tool. It's pressed to the cardboard only around the edges and comes off pretty easily as long as you go slow. Only remove the top and sides not the bottom! I then put some open cellulose foam to replace the original stuff after vacuuming out all the degraded particles of the old stuff. I used contact cement to re-glue the edges of the vinyl back down and put some plastic clamps all around the periphery to hold it overnight while it dried. The next day I reattached to the door card with the metal holding tabs/clips (don't know what to call them) and reinstalled. I wish I took pictures. It worked out great! I would encourage you to replace the old foam with new foam to get the best results and don't be afraid to peel the vinyl off as it glued back down very nicely. I'll be doing the passenger side soon so maybe I'll take some photos.
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #5206 - restored
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #6424 - ongoing restoration
1976 Mercedes 6.9 #484 - restoration?

Howard60

It actually came apart easier than I thought, and although
not as I imagined, the repair was pretty straight forward. Although I would do it differently if I did
it again.
Cant seem to upload a PDF of images showing the process, so I can send it to anyone who might be interested - DM me.
Howard
Previously: 280ce W123, 450slc C107, 350se W116, 230e W123, 250ce W114

Jed

So here's a few pictures from the passenger side that I did today in case anyone else is interested. The card comes out easily by removing the metal clips. first picture shows the vinyl being peeled off of the card. That also comes off easily but do not remove the bottom section there's no reason to. In the second picture you can see all of the powder from the prior foam that's disintegrated over the years. The last picture shows a piece of foam cut out to fit. I don't have any photos when I flip the vinyl back over and glued it down and held it with clamps but it's all pretty straightforward and gives an excellent result.

Fergus

ckamila

Jed,

How did you remove the clips holding hard board to door card? Do they just pull straight up, bend tabs or what? I'm replacing front window regulator and would like to replace foam while i'm in there ;-)

Thanks,
Chris
If it's not broke i haven't fix it yet...

1980 300SD, 170K
1985 300D, 235K

Rolo

I just did mine a second time.  I didn't get the vinyl pulled taught enough and the perforated vinyl was sagging.  Best method I've found is to use a flat blade screw driver that tapers to the width of the clip and widens further down.  Tap into the clip and it spreads the clip.  I bend the clip so the sides touch before reinstalling so they get a good bite on the plastic posts.  10 minutes to remove the backing from the panel.

I used AC filter media to replace my foam.  I don't like it.  Too shiny.  I can see it through the vinyl.

ckamila

If it's not broke i haven't fix it yet...

1980 300SD, 170K
1985 300D, 235K

BCK1963

Hello,

a repro of the original filler behind the door Panels is available in Germany:

https://107doc.de/mb-107-ersatzteile-service/72.1-tuerverkleidung/1563/3d-stoff-abstandsgewirke-tuerverkleidung-mb-107

Unfortunately only in german. Two layers are needed, so one set is for one door Panel.

Regards     Bernd
Bernd

1976 Merc 6.9   Magnetit blue

Jed

Yes I just pried the clips apart a little with a flat screwdriver and popped the clips off.

I sourced the foam from a local place called the foam factory. 

foambymail.com

"1/4" Speaker / Filter Foam -30 PPI - 72x48" was the exact product I ordered. I think it cost $17 plus shipping

if I remember correctly its an open cellulose foam that will allow the blown air (heat) from the heater duct to pass through the foam. worked very very well.

Rolo

So now I got a problem.  As I posted above, I popped off the panels to pull the vinyl tight.  When I tried to reinstall the panel onto the door, the panel won't slide down far enough the engage the clips on the window slot.  Looked everywhere behind the panel to see what's hanging it up.  The 3 plastic clips are nicely engaged (actually 2 plastic clips and a screw I had to put in where some shop broke off the clip).  It dropped right in the first time I reinstalled.  Any ideas?