DIY: Euro *front* bumper install using US mounting hardware

Started by 78w116300sd, 05 March 2014, 02:10 AM

78w116300sd

This was a bit harder. You will have to cut two very small notches on the inner of the very top brackets. In all you will have the bracket sandwiched in between the upper little bumper and your new shiny euro bumper. *When you cut the shock its under oil pressure* Wear proper PPE like z87 approved eye goggles, etc. Just think safety when you attempt this.

socalsean

Great idea. I may have to use your method once I'm finished with my LS swap. Do you get the euro lights as well?

I found a complete euro front end and rear bumper set up in a Sac yard a few months ago.

78w116300sd

socalsean

I have an extra lense I'd be willing to part with. If you find some housings let me know.

Squiggle Dog

Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

78w116300sd

Thanks everyone. You will have to make 2 small brakets for the ends of the front bumper for support.

karmann_20v

So by the looks of it, you haven't used the Euro bumper support, you just bolted the bumper to the modified shock mounts and fabbed the end brackets. That is very clever!

Do you still have a picture of the front support (where the mounts bolt to the body) with the shock mounts removed? I am trying to gather some info for when I will take my NA spec 116 to the bodyshop for paint and bumper conversion (one would think somebody would post a how to NA to Euro retrofit, but all I can find are bits and pieces...)

78w116300sd

I don't have that pic but show this pic to any welder and they will get the point. The mounting bracket has to be welded to the main steel bumper reinforcement.

karmann_20v

Thanks! I will have to show him these pics. I would like to emulate the Euro mounts as much as possible, but those brackets seem to be a PITA to remove... Again, I wish there was a documented conversion with some valuable info on what exactly is needed...