Detailing engine bay - ideas or recommendations?

Started by raueda1, 27 March 2020, 10:45 AM

raueda1

With the engine out of the car it's the perfect time to clean up the engine bay.  As usial, I'm struggling with how far to take it.  Someone more committed and rigorous than myself would certainly strip everything out and respray it all.  Unfortunately I won't be doing that, just too long and tedious.  Anyway, it's a driver, not a show car, and most of it is pretty good.  It's been pretty well degreased and pressure washed.   I've got a real steam cleaner to help finish the job and properly matched 2k paint for touch ups.  I don't mind removing simple stuff like washer pumps to get into nooks and crannies. 
Question (and I know this sounds insane):  has anybody every brushed 2k paint instead of spraying?  It might be more convenient for some touch ups. 

Thoughts, ideas and suggestions welcome!  Thanks,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

rumb

On the right hand side you can remove the battery tray, overflow tank,  headlight washer hoses if you have them, and the major electrical wires. . If you then unclamp the hydro lines you can joggle them around and wrap in tin foil. You may be able to unbolt the front hydro valve to get the lines further out. Detach cruise control. That will allow you to get a vast large area.

The left side remove ignition box, starter resistors, coil and bracket,and many wires can be removed and pushed out of the way.

wrap anything left in tinfoil and spray away.

I used Simple Green and parts cleaner brush to remove all the oily stuff.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

UTn_boy

If you're referring to actual 2 Komponent single stage paint, then yes it can be applied with a foam brush.  Though, if you're using a metallic single stage the metal flake will end up being uneven in application.  If you're using a base coat/clear coat paint then I can't comment.  I avoid base coat/clear coat like the plague.  So I never work with it. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

raueda1

Quote from: UTn_boy on 28 March 2020, 09:04 AM
If you're referring to actual 2 Komponent single stage paint, then yes it can be applied with a foam brush.  Though, if you're using a metallic single stage the metal flake will end up being uneven in application.  If you're using a base coat/clear coat paint then I can't comment.  I avoid base coat/clear coat like the plague.  So I never work with it.
It is exactly as you describe:  2 component, single stage.  I'll play around with it.  I do have a very small spray gun. 

We're being whipsawed between spring and winter.  Had a few good car days but then it snowed 5" last night.  Needs to be consistently warmer to get to this stuff and it's making me nuts.  Thanks for the comments gents.  I would never have thought of aluminum foil to mask stuff.  Great idea.
-Dave

s class

I have tried brush painting single stage 2k and the results are terrible with heavy brush marks, runs, bubbles.  And when brushed, colour coverage is poor.

If you are wanting a quick solution with control, use an air brush.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

marku

As said it is not a problem to remove or mask what you can't. If you have the engine out it would be an ideal opportunity that I am sure would be regretted later. If you haven't got the necessary spray equipment get a colour match spray can theirs not much to do and it would look great.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

raueda1

Last night I gave it all another look.  True enough, with engine out there's ample opportunity to mask tubing, move wiring out of the way,  etc.  I'll pick up an air brush and have at it.  Thanks for the encouragement.  Too often I'm tempted by the easy way out.  Cheers,
-Dave

petecon

If the engine bay is not too dirty, you can do rinseless wash although you will need lots of MF towels.