News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Delamination

Started by Nutz, 30 June 2006, 05:49 PM

Nutz

Anybody else here a victim of this dreaded disorder? I would like to hear of some suggestions on how to prevent this from happening again. The windscreen in my 76 needs to be changed in the worst way due to both lower corners delaminating. Much appreciated  8)

Nutz

BAR

What you see is a common problem for older laminated windscreens.  Water finally finds its way between the glass layers and the binding layer of plastic film.  Possibly exaggerated by the affect of freezing winters in your part of the globe.

A replacement front windscreen would cost somewhere around Aust $ 400 fitted.  The rear [heated screen up to 3 times that cost.

Andreas

I have the same problem on car which came from the uk. It has delamination where water is running through the rubber window seals, bottom right and left courners were the water runs in to the car. So i suspect it is the water doing the damage as suggested by BAR

Andreas
78 450 SEL Parting out
78 450 SEL Saving for parts
79 450 SEL 6.9  #5332
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro # 1696
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro #1577
78 450 SEL 6.9  # 4172
76 280 S     Manual Parting
80 280 SE  Possible Parts Car
74 350 SLC  Thinking converting to race

Nutz

;D LOL !  ;D

I get that part,I just want to know if there is some kind of preventive measure that I can have the glass guys perform when they come to the house and change it.The damage below  >:( The rest of my fleet doesn't have this problem.

Andreas

I would guess haveing good tight rubber seals would help prevent delamination as it has not hppemned on my rear window where the rubber is still good.
78 450 SEL Parting out
78 450 SEL Saving for parts
79 450 SEL 6.9  #5332
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro # 1696
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro #1577
78 450 SEL 6.9  # 4172
76 280 S     Manual Parting
80 280 SE  Possible Parts Car
74 350 SLC  Thinking converting to race

BAR

The work for prevention is basically the role of the manufacturer.  It comes down to the quality of the boding, glass - plastic - glass and also the finishing of the edges.

You could attempt to assist the seal by coating it with a silicone based product: the effect may only be superficial.  Once again climate, sun, rain, extreme temperatures etc will work against the bond.

By the way your pictures indicate that the vehicle has lost a lot of it original gloss finish - is that salt or sun corrosion?  ALso has someone painted the aluminium gutters of your car - or is it just the light making it look that way in the photo?

Nutz

Quote from: BAR on 04 July 2006, 05:59 AM

By the way your pictures indicate that the vehicle has lost a lot of it original gloss finish - is that salt or sun corrosion?  ALso has someone painted the aluminium gutters of your car - or is it just the light making it look that way in the photo?

The car is going through a major metamorphosis and what you're seeing on the trim and body is black primer/sealer.I'm completely blacking out the car except for the grill and rear star emblem.It's a big project to say the least  :-\ Extensive details when it  nears completion.

s class

I also have some of that clouding on my front windscreen, though not to the extent of your picture.  And I thought it was just dirt... bummer.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

Quote from: s class on 04 July 2006, 08:00 AM
I also have some of that clouding  .  And I thought it was just dirt... bummer.

Yeah ditto, bummer, but on the rear window.  Again, not to that extent, I just thought one day I'll give it a "really good clean".  :'(
1973 350SE, my first & fave