News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Dashboard crack repair

Started by raueda1, 09 March 2021, 09:42 AM

raueda1

Has anybody performed a dashboard crack repair that you'd consider satisfactory?  I have a small crack that was previously painted over with some kind of stuff and was actually pretty hard to see.  However, the crack is in the angle right alongside the instrument cluster and hence a bit hidden.  Last summer the repair split so I'll try to fix again. 

The challenge is that the repair goo extended beyond the crack itself and fills in the dash texture making a flat surface on the sides.  Obviously I'd like the texturing to extend across the whole surface of the repair.

If anybody has good experiences please do share.  Also, I'm experimenting with super-thin repair patches molded from the dash itself.  Looks very promising so far.  If it works I'll post the process in detail.  Thanks and cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

Rolo

I bought a Permatex vinyl repair on Amazon that requires an iron (supplied) to cure.  It's not a great looking repair, but my upholstery guy says the objective is to stop the crack from spreading.  It worked for me.