News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Crappy Exhaust hangers

Started by gf, 19 December 2017, 01:49 AM

gf

I've lost count of how many of these I've replaced/ lost over the years! Often when one comes off all their friends follow in very quick succession and you end up with a dragging exhaust pipe. So many of these have also crumbled at 1-3 year intervals from new. Last drive I had to do an emergency fix with Dacron fishing line as I usually have a few spare exhaust hangers in the glove box  but ran out when I simultaneously lost 3!
Anyone else have this problem?

s class

Yes, very frustrating
  I once tried ordering genuine ones from mb, and they were just as hopeless.  Exhaust fell off the car just from 6 months of standing, not even driving.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

TJ 450

Yep, i'm Always replacing them. I just use Holden ones as they are readily available (they always fail at the worst time).

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

ptashek

You mean the rubber rings, or the actual hardware? The rubbers are just terrible, whichever ones you go for. From own experience both OEM and aftermarket ones last just about as long - maybe a year. Mine are due for a replacement before spring. I'm debating whether it'd make sense to use W124 rubbers, which are much more durable.

I've never had issues with the actual hardware.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

daantjie

My 2c on this - take note that there are 2 type of "doughnut" type hangers.  They have much different hardness, which might be causing the issue for you guys.  You need to install the harder ones to the front of the motor, and the softer ones at the back as per the service manual,  at least on the 6.9 it shows 2 different hardness ones for different spots on the car.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Squiggle Dog

Years ago I bought the "MEYLE HEAVY DUTY" rubber exhaust hangers from Mercedessource. Within a week they were dry rotted and cracking. Within a couple months they fell apart. And this was in cool and wet Washington state! So, I bought new genuine Mercedes ones from The Classic Center. After 8 years of mostly being in Arizona desert heat and driven daily, they STILL look brand new.

I had the same experience with a Meyle valve cover breather tube. It dry rotted within about a week. The genuine Mercedes one I replaced it with still looks like brand new after several years.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

marku

When I got the 450 the exhaust was on rubber rings which were in a poor condition. When I replaced the rear section it came with ones that were divided in the middle and much stronger. They came from Mercedes but not identified and just put in with the new exhaust.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

gf

Thanks for all the responses guys. The comment on different types/harnesses of rubbers in varying positions was interesting. The exhaust hangers that have far outlasted all the others were from a VN commodore. The Dacron fishing line is 90kg line. I've used 3 seperate loops for each hook so hopefully triple redundancy. Doesn't seem to be any sharp bits that could cut the line. There is definitely more vibration through the vehicle when hitting bumps. Might try Dacron line in the centre exhaust hangers and rubbers at the back.

darront

Quote from: daantjie on 19 December 2017, 11:11 AM
My 2c on this - take note that there are 2 type of "doughnut" type hangers.  They have much different hardness, which might be causing the issue for you guys.  You need to install the harder ones to the front of the motor, and the softer ones at the back as per the service manual,  at least on the 6.9 it shows 2 different hardness ones for different spots on the car.

That explains it. We will be working on the 6.9 right after we finished installing the new suspension, tires and 400ex plastics on the ATV. The owner keeps complaining about the hangers as well.