News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

cracked dash

Started by gf, 23 May 2010, 09:16 PM

gf

has anyone attempted to repair a cracked dash? my w116 has 3 or 4 splits in the vinyl. Somone told me i can remove and ship the dash interstate for a complete reskin (im guessing this option is very tedious and very expensive). as the largest crack is not more than 3mm wide and its edges arent raised or curled im wondering if i can just use some kind of filler and colour it accordingly? an obvious chickenout fix would be a dashmat! Any stories of succesful/ disasters/ recommendations would be appreciated.

flutes

Gf I recently came across a company in Sydney called classicdash.com.au

They looked like they did some great work on dash refurbs - I saw a w108 dash done a coupe of Alfas, looked like quality work.  Keep in mind I was there to buy Bill Hirsch Miracle Paint so I can't speak for their work first hand.   But the biggest issue as I'm sure you're aware is getting the dash out without damage, there have been quite a few posts here where people have, umm, struggled to say the least - especially without taking out the front screen.

I'm not a fan of the dash mat, but then I'm lucky to have a dash that's in very good condition!

Cheers,
Matt.
Matt
1977 450SEL

oscar

I've heard of plastic caps that can be used over the top and I picked up a fibreglass cap a few years back.  Not as good as reskinning but good alternatives to a dashmat or removing the dash.  Problem is I don't where you'd buy these things these days.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

gf

thanks matt and oscar! yeah the whole removal of windshield included bit is frightening! Capping i read on the net last nightl looks an interesting option, but if done poorly can be very difficult to put right again they say. Typed in "dash crack repair" and stacks of interesting stuff on refilling cracks with epoxy, silicone, and various fillers came up. looks like the issue could be - is the filler flexible/ durable enough, and how easy is it to redo? initial repairs look convincing from the photos!

Tony T

I looked into it recently for my C107.
A company in Adelaide quoted me under $500, but I had the remove the dash. The car's only done 130k, so I think it's worth doing, but for my 280 116, I'm just buying a dash mat.   :-\
The was an article in MB Classic magazine not so long ago about dash repairs. If you're interested, I could find it for you.
Send me a pm if you want it and I'll scan and email to you, if you haven't got it.

s class

My 280SE daily driver's dash is in a sorry state with a number of huge cracks.  Its been really bothering me more and more lately.  The car doesn't justify the $1500 that it would cost for a new dash, so I've considered various options.  Finally this week, I've been putting in a bit of time each day at lunch break.  I've decided to try one of these 2-pack cyano-acrylate products.  It consists of a black powdered 'activator' that one works into the crack dry.  One then saturates it with the cyano-acrylate.  The big concern I've had is the lack of flexibility of the cured product, making me think it may crack again soon.  However, there is no denying that it adheres to the vinyl on either side of the crack something fearsome.  One useful feature of the product is that once cured, it can be filed, sanded etc to shape.  So I now have the cracks filled and sanded.  Of course, where the cracks were, it is now a slightly raised ridge (due to the pulling up of the vinyl either side of the crack), and of course, sanded smooth without the vinyl pattern.  THe colour is a good match however, and whilst this is certainly not concours, it is easier on the eye than the previous gaping cracks. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL